Are there any decent arguments for God's existence which do not fall prey to the argument from ignorance fallacy? (i.e. God of the gaps)

by Psychotic Parrot 120 Replies latest jw friends

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

wobble,

Pisswordprotected's cut & paste rubbish was from William Lane Craig, he is often looked up to quite highly by budding apologists because he usually (though certainly not always) does well in his debates. But he does well because he starts his debates by setting up literally every argument for the existence of God that there is (all of the ones i mentioned in the first post), & then he expects his opponents to go through each of them individually & dismantle them, one by one. There just simply is not enough time to do this in a debate & failure do so constitutes a win in WLC's eyes. That's not to mention the fact that most of his opponents are not scientists who are knowledgeable on the subject anyway.

He also gives his opponents the task of 'proving atheism'. This is simply an impossible task & not one that is even necessary, since no athiest claims to be able to prove that God does not exist. But it just goes to show how little WLC really knows about the subject, he is just a showman, & a very preachy one at that. He is also a closet creationist, except for when he is being interviewed by his own people (other creationists), on those ocassions he comes out of the closet specially for them.

• Terry
    Terry

Having to PROVE the existence of the most extraordinary, powerful and awe-inspiring thing in the universe should make us

go: "Wuh?"

Shouldn't there be NO NEED?

And yet.....there is!

Makes you pause and think....."Hmmmmm....."

What is wrong with this picture?

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

THE GLADIATOR,

Sorry, i'm not sure what you want from me

You seemed to be mostly in agreement with me & thus i saw no reason to take issue with you or address your statements. If you wanted a letter of commendation from me for your efforts then you should have said so.

Sorry

Terry,

I made the mistake of ignoring the other guy, so i guess i ought not to make that mistake with you.

So yeah, thank you for your input

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

It's really stupid that someone can join a message board for ex-cultists, under the name of PSYCHOTIC PARROT, & then be greeted with shock for showing a little passion.

Some of the people here really are just as bland & just as bereft of personality & enthusiasm as any active j-dub, honestly.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Sir 82 - Wikipedia disagrees with your definition of Agnosticism in a subtle way:

Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable. [

The key point being the "OR" - unknown OR unknowable. Your definition appeared to me to say all Agnostics maintain the existence of God is unknowable.

Agnostics like myself simply say we do not know, not that we CANNOT IN PRINCIPLE, know.

Further, agnostics like myself really do not care that we do not know - and do not care what others choose to believe.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

JWoods,

You & i are pretty much in agreement there.

• sir82
    sir82

JWoods - right, forgot about the "or".

Hopefully the Wiki gods will not hurl computer viruses at my PC.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Psychotic Parrot

Thanks for your comments but an apology to me was not needed. You treated me better than you treated most of the other people here.

We all react to hostility and I can be outspoken myself. The point I was making was that your rough handling of the people contributing to your thread, is overshadowing its purpose. People like me who try to agree with you, you have no time for.

I guess I should have looked up psychotic before I took this thread seriously (unusual or bizarre behavior, as well as difficulty with social interaction)

Thanks anyway - I will leave you in peace now.

• tec
    tec

I'm not really sure what you're looking for, PP. Are you looking for a new argument for God's existence? One that no one has heard of or argued before?

Tammy

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Hopefully the Wiki gods will not hurl computer viruses at my PC.

No worries, Sir82. Those Wiki god-virusus have fallen prey to the impeccable logic of these five pages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit