Trying to live the rest of my life without being bitter.

by Bigdummy 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bigdummy
    Bigdummy

I'm new to this forum.

I was raised in " the truth" from age six and now I am in my mid 60's. My wife was born in " the truth" and is very strong in the religion. I have had many experiences during my lifetime with the other members of several congregations. Some experiences were great and others not so much.

I won't be revealing or saying anything you haven't heard before but I came to the reality that things just didn't seem right a long time ago. To keep peace within my own household and the friends that we associated with I just felt that, stay with the status quo.

After all the changes in doctrine and the WTBTS tv show I can't take it anymore. I told my wife it looks like any other tv evangelical show. She's not happy with me since I just quit going to meetings cold turkey several weeks ago. She says I'm being picky and she said she doesn't know me anymore. I won't elaborate on all my misgivings at this time so I'll keep this post short although I will be back to comment later. But I will relate this.

Many weeks ago during the book study Draw Close to Jehovah, there was a question asked by the conductor. He asked " how do we know that the 144,000 mentioned in Rev 14 is a literal number ?". I thought to myself I sure want to hear the answer and hopefully from someone who had been in for a long time.

Well fortunately for me it was a brother in his mid 70's and he was born into the truth. His answer was " because at the beginning of the chapter it says " The Lamb " and and it is a single Lamb and thus it is a single literal number of one. Therefore the number of 144,000 would also have to be a literal number. " So the conductor says that's right, we have to go by the context. And I thought what the hell? Yeah, let's go by the context. " The Lamb" is not a literal lamb and further down in the same chapter it says that an angel will take a sickle which by the way would not be a literal sickle but also symbolic .

This post is not short like I hoped. But I will tell you that I asked 2 different elders and a ministerial servant to explain how the 144,000 is a literal number by using the context of Rev 14. Each one of them told me you can't. I'll admit I am a little dumb sometimes but I'm not stupid. There is a difference. I'll be back here later and let off a little more pressure.

• Simon
    Simon

It gets easier and letting go of the resentment is definitely a good idea to be able to live a happier life.

BTW: It's generally best to not add line breaks manually - that way the text will wrap to the correct length whatever device the reader is using (I've edited your post).

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Welcome BIGDUMMY.

For starters, YOU ARE NOT A BIG DUMMY -- YOU ARE SMART AS HELL!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Welcome to the "Woke Up In My 60's Club"! lol

I've been out for 3 years and I am the happiest of my life!

We were not stupid! We were guillible and innocent.

I hope you are able to wake your wife up gently. It is so wonderful when a family wakes up together.

All the best!

LL

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Hey BIGMAN !

Welcome and enjoy the company of right thinking ,like minded individuals. A Few Good Men if you will!

The beer here is cold, the air at 72 degrees , plush seats where you can kick back ,and, kick some real knuckle- headed ass. The Borg's that is, and its minions!

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Hey Big D! Welcome, i'm right up there to where I get senior discounts in lotsa places. I was baptized in my early 30s.

People seem to agree that ex-jw's are wrong to be bitter about bad things in their lives that happened as a result of the WT connection. But they don't think victims of house burglaries are wrong to be mad, do they? Or carjackings, it's okay for them to be "bitter?"

Well I don't dwell and stew about it all constantly, but I do resent wasting 30 years on a ridiculous scam of a religion, and I do feel bitter about all the hypocrites who felt justified in putting me down and telling me what Jehovah thought about me- as if! And I do feel mad at myself for being so stupid and gullible and ignoring all the red flags that popped up frequently over the years, but as I had no confidence in my own thinking ability, I just squashed down the cognitive dissonance and made excuses for the WT cult brainwash system.

You were a child raised in the lies. You have nothing to blame yourself for. And certainly not dumb, if your logic is operating at the great level you describe!

Like you say, posting here lets off a lot of pressure, so hope to see you here again.

Marina

• St George of England
    St George of England

Hi and welcome.

I was born in and nearly 70 but also stay in for peace within the family. I am very bitter since learning TTATT some 6 years ago. How ever did we believe all that twaddle?

George

• Watchtower-Free
  • Gone and forgotten
    Gone and forgotten

Hi Big D...welcome. Looking forward to learning more of your story.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Welcome Bigdummy.

I was 14 and naïve when I was sucked into the religion so we can't blame ourselves As for bitterness we are entitled to it though it doesn't have to last forever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit