How Do You Feel Being Thought Of As An "Apostate"?

by minimus 71 Replies latest jw friends

• tiki
    tiki

I embrace my freedom. Anyone can call me whatever they want, it doesn't matter one whit.

• The Finger
    The Finger

I don't like being called an apostate and when I last spoke with the elders I'm not. I'm not an apostate. I dedicated my life to serve God. I still do. The elders are well aware of my views. I believed that as a JW I was a christian. I no longer believe that to be the case.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I LOVE it!!! !!

And mostly for the reasons Heartbreaker mentioned: "...it means (to them) that I'm not just weak, or confused, or even misinformed. I am unafraid, educated and vocal, and that keeps them right where I want them....far away from me...."

Hear, hear!! Zid

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Apostasy (pronounced /?'p?st?si/ ) is the formal religious disaffiliation , abandonment, or renunciation of one's religion , especially if the motive is deemed unworthy. In a technical sense, as used sometimes by sociologists without the pejorative connotations of the word, the term refers to renunciation and criticism of, or opposition to, one's former religion. One who commits apostasy is an apostate, or one who apostatizes. The word derives from Greek αποστασ?α (apostasia), meaning a defection or revolt, from απο, apo, "away, apart", στ?σις, stasis, "stand", "standing". The term is sometimes also used to refer to renunciation of a belief or cause by (generally facetious) extension of the religious connotation, such as in reference to a political party or a sports team .

Apostasy is generally not a self-definition: very few former believers call themselves apostates and they generally consider this term to be a pejorative. Many religious movements consider it a vice ( sin ), a corruption of the virtue of piety in the sense that when piety fails, apostasy is the result. Unlike apostasy, heresy is the rejection or corruption of certain doctrines, not the complete abandonment of one's religion. Heretics claim to still be following a religion (or even to be the " true believers "), whereas apostates reject it entirely.

Many religious groups and some states punish apostates. Apostates may be shunned by the members of their former religious group [1] or worse. This may be the official policy of the religious group or may happen spontaneously. A church may in certain circumstances respond to apostasy by excommunicating the apostate, while some Abrahamic scriptures ( Judaism : Deuteronomy 13:6-10) and Islam : al-Bukhari, Diyat, bab 6) demand the death penalty for apostates, although capital punishment for any offense is no longer permitted under Judaism.

• carla
    carla

I asked my jw if I could get an honorary membership just so I could get df'd and be an 'official' apostate, he didn't think the elders would go for it.

• agonus
    agonus

According to the WT's own definition of "apostasy", its own leaders should be classified as Apostates TM . They call their apostasy "New Light", of course...

I've just flipped it around. Their apostasy is actual Apostasy TM , my "apostasy" is actually New Light TM .

I win.

• cult classic
    cult classic

It's not pleasant to have family think of you as an evil person.

I agree poor places........ but I think what everyone is saying (if i may speak for everyone...lol) in part is that the witnesses use that word as a weapon to make someone look bad and to control people's opinion of you. When you learn what an "apostate" is and realize how the word can apply to people other than those who speak against the WTS, the sting is gone. You're free from the implications of that word (as it's used by JWs)

sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.......... we know that's not true.

"Rolando is a formidable apostate". - kind of like Satan, huh RR? lol - they are such pigs.

lol Agonus

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I'd be more offended if I was accused of being a Christian than being labeled an apostate!

• awildflower
    awildflower

Amen to that

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Actually the JW religion is filled with Apostates. All of the ones who abandoned their former religion to become JWs are Apostates of their former religion.

Me I was Kicked out for having escape-sex with a nice girl therefore I didnt abandoned my religion i was expelled from it. My Dad is more apostate than me since he was Catholic before he was a JW and he is still and elder than me that I dont believe in God :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit