Something Mary Wrote

by snowbird 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird

has been bugging me since I read it.

She mentioned how a classmate took special delight in tormenting her due to Mary's being a JW.

Mary mentioned that this girl pointed to and mocked her when she couldn't share in a birthday? celebration.

Are some kids really that cruel? Where were the teachers?

I'm bewildered because that just doesn't happen here.

For instance, when my oldest refused to stand for the flag salute, her whole class sympathetically sat it out, also.

I remember a teacher asking her class to tone down their Xmas celebrations so as not to offend my youngest daughter and a JW friend.

The class readily complied.

No offense to any, but I have to ask, are Southern people just nicer?

Sylvia

• asilentone
    asilentone

nope, southern people are not nicer, they are everywhere! Woe to the whole earth!

• undercover
    undercover

Wasn't it Southerners who were pretty damn nasty during desegregation...and other Civil Rights issues?

Southerners have a charm and hospitality that is hard to match, but they can also be the stubbornest and hardheadedest people you'll meet as well.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Seriously, ASO.

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Nope. They aren't particularly nice at all, on the whole.

/Edit: I mean more or less so than anyone else.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    they can also be the stubbornest and hardheadedest people you'll meet as well.

I think that is what caused a lot of the nastiness. Resentment at being goaded by the Feds.

I mean more or less so than anyone else.

Then, what is it?

Sylvia

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am so glad I am no longer putting my kids through the hell I went through in School.

I have always lived in a middle class part of the UK, where kids are generally well disciplined, but a JW kid was still a viable target. They are just so different, no BD's, keeping out of all activities to do with easter and xmas, not attending morning assembly - I was seen as a Joke. I thought I was proving my integrity. The result - the odd one out, the weirdo the punchbag - at least until the day I hit back and beat the complete crap out of a guy who was considered one of the toughnuts.

School days are meant to be the best days of your life - not for JW kids.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Then, what is it?

What is what? I don't know what you are asking...

• Violia
    Violia

yes some kids and teachers are that cruel. I once had a teacher have us do a show and tell after christmas. My dad had gotten me a doll. one doll. He had hiden it and gave it to me after christmas. I was laughed at and mocked. I know kids can be mean, but the teacher should have had her arse kicked. Life in the bible belt.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Some teachers care about every individual student, some do not. Some kids are nice to other kids, some kids are not. I don't think this is a north/south, east/west thing. It's a human thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit