Something Mary Wrote

by snowbird 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Actually, dear Undercover (peace to you!), Dr. Martin Luther King, comparing what he had seen in the South to the the racism he personally witnessed and was victim to during his visit to Chicago in August 1996 stated that although he had seen a LOT of hatred and racism in the south, "nothing there compared" to what he saw... and experienced... "in the north."

One persons experience, Shelby. I AM from the south, and I have listed in the north, spent extended amounts of time in Canada and Europe. People are people, there are some good and bad people everywhere. I realize that's MY experience, but, since it's just anecdotal, mine is just as valid as his.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    mine is just as valid as his.

Of course it is, NVL.

Why are you so prickly, man?

Sheesh!

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Why are you so prickly, man?

Someone has to be.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!! Oh, I don't know why that's so funny to me!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Is Louisiana considered "the South"?

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary mentioned that this girl pointed to and mocked her when she couldn't share in a birthday? celebration.

Actually hon, it was Christmas. Rotten beotch was just a really nasty person. As for the teachers? They didn't give a crap about stuff like that. That was in the 1970s and teachers didn't get involved in bullying back then. They just didn't.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

IMO Jw kids are in the middle.

On one hand they are 'targetted' due to being different - something that most kids, like chickens, use to create a pecking order. On the other hand, they are riddled with guilt if they fail to comply, and possibly 'turned in' if other Jw kids are in the same school.

I felt all the above - bullying, guilt, embarrassment, at one time or another. I dreaded the coming of Fall and the holidays. I was not a 'shitter' or I would have had to bring fresh Fruit of the Looms six or seven times a year.

It was a horrible way to live your life. On one hand - if I do this right, I will suffer constant torment and picking, perhaps even scolding from some teachers. If I do it wrong, then God will surely kill me at Armageddon. It's a wonder any of us survived the emotional pain of those days intact.

Jeff

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!! Oh, I don't know why that's so funny to me!

I'm just that kind of guy, love.

Actually, I am not at all prickly, I just tend to say exactly what I mean, no more, no less. Nothing irks me more than people interrupting me to tell me I am wrong when they haven't let me finish my sentence (because I tend to start things with "here's why I am tossing these ideas out the window...") or when they say "so what you are saying is X."

My position is "No, if I wanted to say X, I would have said it. I said Y, which is exactly what I meant to say." I am just like your rose, lots of good stuff, but there are thorns that go with it.

and of course I lurves both you and Shelby :)

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

My experience in grade school in southern California (before the 70's):

One girl took every single opportunity to spontaneously scream at me how I was going to die because I wasn't allowed a blood transfusion - my parents hated me because they wanted me to die.

This went on over two whole school years - at recess, before school, after school, at lunch, from next to me, from across the hall or cafeteria. Once she had a crowd on onlookers she would start in how stupid and wierd I was because I didn't celebrate holidays or birthdays.

There were other bullies, but this is the one that focused on the JW issue. She was short, slightly overweight (at a time when this was unusual in the US), had short black hair, I believe her name started with an "L", she was Catholic.

I suspect she was reacting to what her parents read about the RCC in the Watchtower.

• Terry
    Terry

Jerks are everywhere.

Jerks breed more jerks.

There are certain cultural situations that evoke jerk-dom. Any community where "calling out" others is considered okay will produce jerks.

Arrogance, immaturity and a sense of entitlement fuel jerkosity.

I think the Flag Salute is a very troubling ceremony even though I'm not a JW. Something about it is unnatural.

You are asked to Pledge your Allegience to a piece of cloth which has a "higher" built-in semiotic meaning.

Who is listening? Is that piece of cloth listening? No.

It strikes me as coercive indoctrination.

Keep it away from kids!

Introduce it in the last year of High School when most teens are already starting to think for themselves.

Then see what happens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit