Something Mary Wrote

by snowbird 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    For instance, when my oldest refused to stand for the flag salute, her whole class sympathetically sat it out, also.

I think it might be a generational thing.

I was 9 when my parents started studying and was very gung-ho about 'serving Jehovah with accurate knowledge'. When holiday activities came along at school, I would ask to modify the project For example, paint a regular tree with snow instead of christmas tree with decorations. Or 'why I don't celebrate christmas instead of a report on holiday traditions, etc.

When there were parties, we either stayed home for a few hours or I went to the office and 'helped'. I became a great helper. There were also some other special projects that were given to me in lieu of holiday celebrations.

YEARS later (maybe 15 years after graduation from high school) I went back and visited a few of the teachers. One of the guidance counselors and I spoke for awhile. He told me that my brother and I actually paved a way toward tolerance in the school system. We were the ONLY JWs in the whole district and the only American kids that had a different culture. Their ability to adapt to our 'culture' helped them when an influx of Japanese and Chinese kids moved in during the following years.

I should add that while most of the teachers and administrators were 'understanding', there were a handful that were not. THOSE did make my time with them stressful and uncomfortable.

-Aude.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was picked on too, because I was a jw. Sixth grade was truly torture. I cried every single day. We had moved from Boston to a suburb that year...so I was the new kid, and a jw. Looking back though...I was pretty vocal about my religion....so they thought I was really weird. They called me names, pulled my hair, threatened me, laughed at me, taunted me on a daily basis. Things got better in jr. high... and by high school I managed to have a few friends, and I was artsy so I was considered pretty kool. But 6th grade was painfull....changed me really.. I had been pretty outgoing up until then... after that year, I became pretty much a loner.

I went to my 40th high school reunion last year. Actually, I helped plan it too. Some of my 6th grade torturers were there. Amazing what time does to level the playing field. Making peace with one's past is awesome... and some of those kids turned out to be pretty nice adults.

Coffee

• John Doe
    John Doe
    No offense to any, but I have to ask, are Southern people just nicer?
    Sylvia

No. Southern people are like the little old women in "Arsenic and Old Lace," sweet as can be to your face, but poison you and bury in the basement when your back is turned.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hey there.

Born in the South. I can tell you that Southerners take great pride in being mannerly. That is a big difference from being nice, which varies from person to person and has nothing to do with their location relative to the Mason/Dixon line.

Go VOLS!

• myownlife
    myownlife

I think I would've enjoyed school if I wasn't a JW.....

I am a born/bred southerner and was treated horribly by the music teacher in elementary school...she tried her best to get me to sing holiday songs. And my mother was so gungho that I had to sit in the library during ANY kind of celebrations or she would pick me up before it occurred if it didn't interrupt her 'service day'

The kids were pretty bad too...some did feel sorry for me....

I too have children now and am so damn glad that they are not having to go thru what I experienced! I make sure they celebrate everything to the fullest and I am living vicariously thru them! LOL!

• flipper
    flipper

SNOWBIRD- Actually bullying has nothing to do with where we live in this great country of ours. Bullying exists EVERYWHERE my friend. As a young boy at age 12 or 13 in Junior High School I was bullied by certain boys because I was somewhat short for my age. One time a gang of boys at school recess mistook me for another kid and came up to me- about 20 of them acting all brave and the leader of the pack hit me in the chest thinking he was a bad a$$ . Then some kid told him he had the wrong guy and he actually told me " Sorry ". But I got my arm pinched and guys would beg for money for lunch. It was ridiculous the abuse some kids endured. I wasn't the ONLY one. It happened a lot.

Finally I started filling out in High School, not so skinny - and became more ruggedly athletic - so guys my age left me alone.

My moment of glory came at age 21 when working as a warehouseman some punk temporary 19 year old worker tried to fake judo kick me 1 inch from my face for the fun of it . He didn't have too much fun when my reaction time was quicker than his kick and I raised my knee up fast and kneed him in his balls ! LOL ! He laid there on the ground gripping himself cussing at me saying he was " Gonna get me after work ! " I told him " Hey, I didn't know if you were kicking my face in, but I wasn't gonna let you do it ! " It must have intimidated him because later he came up to me, " Hey man, don't worry. I was only teasing you about after work. I'm not gonna get you . " I told him- I wasn't worried anyway. I don't start fights- but I guarantee you- I'll end them. LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Snowy,

My daughter experienced "tolerance" from her classmates. She never had a problem being picked on about her faith.

Now, as for Mary, I would like to pull her hair .

Judge Dread

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Back in the 70s the world wasn’t as politically correct as it is today.

As far as bullying went, as long as it wasn’t all-out physical harm, the teachers left it up to us to sort it out if we were bullied in any way.

When I was in primary (US, elementary) school, I was the odd one out who didn’t salute the flag, sing the national anthem or participated in holiday festivities. I didn’t have too bad a time until I got into high school and the girls started to get bitchy.

• streets76
    streets76

In the old days, kids weren't coddled, they were left to duke it out, and we were the better for it. Most kids today are surrounded 24/7 by "helicopter" (read: hovering) parents.

(Jesus God, I'm sounding more and more like an old codger!)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

People in the south tend to be more outwardly polite but the fact that they arrogantly think that actually makes them better people kind of nips that in the bud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit