What is your "INTUITION" about THE SECRET "law of attraction"?

by Terry 87 Replies latest social family

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

LOA = Law Of Attraction

"I'm a (half-assed) practioner of LOA and I don't like to discuss it. I will say, I have seen it work countless times."

Can you give us an example of how you've seen it work?

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

@hemp Lover

Short version: You want something to work out for you. You want that job. You whole heartedly put faith in the fact you are going to get that job, and don't allow any negative thoughts to get in the way of it.

BUT.....You have to do a lot of inner work. You can't be miserable one minute, and expect things to work out the next. My world tumbled down this summer and I lost the grip I used to have on it. It's incredibly hard. You would not believe how negative you actually are until you start monitering your thoughts, and sometimes you just don't feel like being grateful for every crust of bread.

How have I've seen it work? I got that job, we bought that house for zero down, I left that relationship I was sure I'd be stuck in for the rest of my life, he gave me that car......and countless, trivial things that sound more like "The Secret" then LOA: Miley Cyrus tickets for my kid that came out of no where, those boots I wanted for years that I could never afford, but low and behold they were $50 bucks at a random store, Disney World which I never in a billion yrs thought I could afford ect., ect. ect. Thats the stuff I don't normally talk about. I'm thankful for it all, but it sounds straight oout of the "The Secret".

I also got something I didn't know I would regret. Be careful what you wish for. I watched him for years. We connected on a level most people couldn't understand. I knew I would eventually be with him. I was forewarned, the writing was on the wall, but I let it happen. Now I'm pregnant with his child, and a more complicated man I don't think I'll ever find.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I would appreciate it if someone would explain to me how LOA and The Secret work for the disadvantaged in the world. How does it help those born physically and mentally disabled? How can those in war torn, ravaged lands apply this thought? How can a young girl in the congo use it to prevent herself from getting raped? How can a young child benefit from these so that its parents won't sell or maim them for profit?

Is LOA and The secret something that all of us can benefit from or is it mostly available to those in the already advantaged parts of the world? Is Intuition something that all humans are born with or is it acquired predominately by those of us who have our basic needs met and therefore have the extra time, money and energy to sit and make use of it? Can it be employed successfully beyond the acquisition of things that we in the west consider important? For example how could those who were victims of the earthquake in Haiti or the tsunami a few years ago have prevented the disasters or at least saved themselves? How can a person lacking clean running water get some fresh water to drink? How can those with no food get 3 meals a day?

For those who make use of these tools I would appreciate a brief lesson so that we can save those who are suffering. Please.

Cult Classic

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

My intuition says it's a lot of hype with some truth mixed in.

As far as intuition goes I think it is very usefull but can be mistaken for ego cravings and so the more honest we are with ourselves the greater it's use. Thinking is good when mixed with intuition we need both.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

My intuition says Terry is worth his weight in gold.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Psychologists who use trait typing define intuitive thinking differently than the mystical defintion. It simply means being able to grasp general principles and ideas before details, thinking from generalities to specifics rather than using specifics to get to the "big picture".

There' s nothing weird about it, it's just a more right brained way of learning. I'm a right brained intuitive thinker...but only about 25 % of the population is.

It is less common than left brained detail and logic oriented thinking, but I tend to grasp what's called "global concepts" quicker than what is usual.

It also makes it hard for me to get to the details sometimes. I hate details...they tend to trip me up. Both kinds of thinking are useful, both exist in everyone, but one trait is usually more predominant than the other.

If you go to a psychologist and they test you, you can find this out. It's a bunch of questions that let them know how you learn and think.

Intuitives tend to be more "outside of the box' thinkers, good with broad concepts, but it can just seem flakey to people who aren't. Also, since most people have to work through the details step by step to get to the general concept, they can often think you're "cheating" if you're an intuitive thinker, because they can't figure out why you got to the end result faster, and it's a rarer thing. One isn't better than the other, just different kinds of learning and using your brain.

I don't know what "the Secret" is but I'm thinking someone made a bunch of money off of it. Just a hunch.

• Terry
    Terry

You seem dislike the word 'intuition' because it can be misunderstood. You like things to be black or white. You are on a mission to eliminate mystical thinking and do this with great success. But although 'intuition' can be an ambiguous word, as can many words, it is is a perfectly good word. There is no reason to throw the baby out with the bath-water.

Humans are part of the animal kingdom. Our advantage lies in our Rational mind. It gives us a map of reality which enables us to

understand who, what, when, where and how things happen so that we can navigate to a good life well lived.

When we fail to disambiguate one thing from another our thinking is blurred. We lose our edge. We go from a sharp image of reality to a vague cloud of unknowing.

The world is dangerous. The less we see, the less clearly we see it the greater the dangers. Just try driving with a dirty windshield!

Consequently, I point out that we must eliminate ANTI-CONCEPTS from our vocabulary of conceptual reality.

Remember, what an ANTI-concept does is this.

An anti-concept is an unnecessary and rationally unusable term designed to replace and obliterate some legitimate concept. The use of

anti-concepts gives the listeners a sense of approximate understanding. But in the realm of cognition, nothing is as bad as the approximate . . . .

So what?

YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN the reason you do something by employing a concept which destroys reason itself. Communication is diluted by it.

We gain self-mastery and individual strength by UNDERSTANDING who we are and knowing why we do what we do---not by confusing ourselves

and others.

Every time we have to resort to "I don't know" we shine a spotlight on our own ignorance. You'd think we'd flee from ignorance and toward

comprehension, wouldn't you? Why fill our vocabulary with ignorance, with words with fuzzy meaning?

Telling people in a book that there is some mysterious LAW operating that will bring them their heart's desire DESTROYS reason, ambition,

understanding of the real world and replaces it with wishful thinking.

This is how people dealt with the world thousands of years ago before there was Science. Do we really want to go back to those Dark Ages of

human ignorance, superstition and mystical understanding of the world at large??

I urge you to purge your vocabulary and clean house where your concepts are harboring the destruction of your intellect!

• Terry
    Terry

what is reality? I tend to agree that reality does not exist. each one of us creates his own. the same event is perceived by each individual in a differfent way.

Solipsism is the philosophical idea that one's own mind is all that exists. Solipsism is an epistemological or ontological position that knowledge of

anything outside the mind is unjustified. The external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

How can you be reading MY WORDS? Did you create them?

Do my sore feet find their origins in your imagination?

When that squirrel over there in my backyard (which you can't see and cannot know the location of) runs up the oaktree and leaps branch to branch-----HOW DID YOU MAKE THAT HAPPEN?

I'm thinking thoughts about your sanity right now. Since YOU created them....can you tell me what they are??

• Terry
    Terry

Thinking is good when mixed with intuition we need both.

Thinking is our only chance to survive in a hostile world. Beneficial thinking requires an active and accurate mind using reason.

Reason integrates man’s perceptions by means of forming abstractions or conceptions, thus raising man’s knowledge from the perceptual level, which

he shares with animals, to the conceptual level, which he alone can reach. The method which reason employs in this process is logic—and logic is the

art of non-contradictory identification.

So what happens when we MIX contradictory mis-identification with our thinking???

If we mix INTUITION with rational reasoning we've mixed a non-identifiable into our processing.

And that is Good exactly how???

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I do see what you are saying Terry. We should eliminate from our vocabulary any word that can cause misunderstanding or stand in the way of absolute clarity.

The difficulty with this approach is that words have developed over time. Take a simple word like 'amuse.' Most people immediately think of being funny. The word means to entertain or keep occupied. As in, 'please amuse my guests while get dinner.'

There are so many words with a variety of flavours, meanings and nuances, that once we apply your bench mark to our language, it starts to fall apart. Perhaps it should, because in our Christian based society there are many words that have evolved from a biased base.

Much humour and innuendo is based on the double meaning of words because language is imperfect. I understand that this irritates a mind as logical as yours. Would you remove all words that are ambiguous or just those that have a mystical connotation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit