Furor grows over Arizona's illegal immigration law

by Sam Whiskey 213 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Yes, but in most states the cops can't just pull you over at random to look at it.

Here in Texas, it has been done fairly regularly. My stepson, while he was going to college in Austin and driving back to Dallas maybe once a month, was stopped fairly often (usually by unmarked patrol) and asked where he was going and requested for a random drug search.

It was pretty obvious what the "profile" was - he was a college age Asian kid, driving a new black Corvette Z06. They treated him politely, and he had no problems.

I don't like this stuff any better than anybody else - but I generally support the law enforcement people who are just trying to do their jobs.

The real solution is to get serious about securing the border, and setting a real penalty system for illegal employers - in addition to dealing with illegal residents. All have to be done before any immigration reform can be made effective.

• undercover
    undercover
    What I'm afraid of is being anywhere anytime and being stopped and asked to see your papers... very police state like...

heh heh...I'm gonna comment on my own comment...

I just remembered having had to report something to the police awhile back. They took a report and in getting information, he asked for my driver's license. He used it as my "papers" to record my personal info. He even questioned if my address was correct. It seems that it's a "crime" to have the wrong address on your license. Lucky for me, I haven't moved lately.. like I'm gonna go stand in that line just to get my address changed...yea right.

Anyhoo...I remember thinking then even that though I wasn't driving...or even anywhere near my car....this little plastic card had become my "papers". And here I thought a driver's license was just to give me permission to drive on public roads...

• beksbks
    beksbks

Enforcement

1. Requires a reasonable attempt to be made to determine the immigration status of a person during any legitimate contact made by an official or agency of the state or a county, city, town or political subdivision (political subdivision) if reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the U.S.

LWT It appears to leave much up to the individual officer as to what is "reasonable" or "legitimate". By the way, the AZ Police Chiefs were against this bill.

Purps, I was referring to your scenario where a person could potentially be stopped several times. That's more than inconvenient. I don't understand where offended comes in exactly.

Apparently Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio have spoken against this thing too. How would the large Cuban population feel if Florida enacted something like this?

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Have you ever been to a club or bar and the ABC comes in and checks everyones ID for age?

The key word there being "everyone".

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"Here in MS, you do not have to show an ID to vote."

Not even a voter registration card?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    determine the immigration status of a person during any legitimate contact

The contact cannot be initiated because of suspected immigration status. There must be legitimate contact before the reasonable attempt is made to determine status. (This is my understanding.) This means that an officer cannot stop (contact) someone, merely because he is suspected of being illegal. Right?

Also, will someone please answer my question from before: Does this law allow anything greater than the existing Federal law?

"Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/usc.cgi?ACTION=RETRIEVE&FILE=$$xa$$busc8.wais&start=2394314&SIZE=5388&TYPE=TEXT

• beksbks
    beksbks

Woods, how do we "secure" the border? I just keep thinking about a huge fence, and how I used to climb out (and then back in) my bedroom window at night to go party. If a person wants to overcome a physical obstacle bad enough, they will.

How about we just make Mexico the 51st + states?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Pullover LWT, your tail light is out, no wait, you were speeding, actually you ran a red light, you were swerving...............

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Not even a voter registration card?

No, forcing people to show an ID to vote is RACIST (they tell me). All we do is show up, give the name of a registered voter (who may or may not be ALIVE) and then vote. This is why politicians tell their supporters to "vote early and vote often", here in the Magnolia State.

• undercover
    undercover
    Pullover LWT, your tail light is out, no wait, you were speeding, actually you ran a red light, you were swerving...............

More than likely it will be, "you were doing 49 in a 45...oh by the way, since I have legitimate contact with you, can you prove that you're a US citizen?"

Like I said before, I understand that AZ has to do something, but I'm not sold on this idea yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit