Furor grows over Arizona's illegal immigration law

by Sam Whiskey 213 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Did Madcow actually discuss the law at all based on its merits or lack thereof? Even once? She was too busy going all Nazi on peripheral issues and guilt by association. This is smart commentary! No wonder MSNBC's ratings are in the crapper.

BTS

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Perhaps they should secede!!!!
    ROFL

ROFL

OMG, You are brilliant! Just fucking BRILLIANT!!!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

http://spectator.org/archives/2010/04/27/fixing-americas-immigration-bl

The immigration black market only exists is because the government has made the legal market as cumbersome as it can.
    True immigration reform makes legal channels more appealing, not less. That means lightening the paperwork and the regulatory burden, and eliminating quotas. The more unattractive legality becomes, the more attractive illegality looks in comparison.
    Black markets are anathema to a free society. Murder, theft, smuggling, and even slavery are part and parcel of immigrant black markets. They are also easily avoidable - just shrink the black market by making legal immigration easier.
    From Plymouth Rock to the present day, people have risked everything they have to come to America in search of a better life. The government does everyone a disservice when it gets in the way of that noble quest.
  • JWoods
    JWoods

This is J Woods personal opinion only, not a scientific study - but:

IMHO, it is ridiculous to suggest that large amounts of popular racism against hispanics exists in the southern border states. All of these states have a substantial settled hispanic population, and they are well accepted into these cultures.

Probably in many border communities the hispanic population is actually a majority. This is not the same thing as in the civil rights south.

The issues here are simply immigration and crime control, and the ability of the state to maintain social services and public safety. It is NOT race.

People like Maddow want this to be racial because they want to defeat immigration law. They in turn want that because they want the illegal immigrants to be legalized (an Obama agenda as well) simply for the voting block they represent.

• out4good3
    out4good3

Fill in the blank!!!!

I can identify an illegal alien by ____________________________________________.

• undercover
    undercover

I'm kinda torn on this one...

I can see why Arizona feels the need to do something...they're a main pathway for illegal aliens and drug traffickers and the Federal government won't finish the damn fence. They have to do something.

But OTOH, I can see where legal hispanics or natural US citizens of hispanic ancestry could be nervous. If I had to start carrying my passport or some other official US documentation to prove my status to local Barney Fife's, I'd be more than a bit upset myself.

How does this stack up against Supreme Court rulings about the Constitutionality of stopping citizens without due suspicion? How do you suspect someone of being an illegal resident? He's Hispanic? Drives a piece of shit? Works in landscaping? Too many ways for this to be abused.

But back to the first hand...if you live near a border, you should expect extra scrutiny...especially if that said border is known as easy passage for illegal aliens. So if you're illegal, don't stop until you get to Oklahoma or Wisconsin...

And don't you Canadians make us go and have to build a fence to keep you touk wearing, beer guzzling canucks out... OUTLAW

• out4good3
    out4good3

Fill in the blank!!!!

This law will encourage mexicans not to cross the border by ______________________________________________.

We know this because it works so well for the drug trade!!!!!!

• B-Rock
    B-Rock
    This law will encourage mexicans not to cross the border by ______________________________________________.

Making it more doubtful that they will be able to stay, natch. Drug traffiking is poor comparison.

It has worked before.

Burgeoning numbers of illegal Mexican immigrants prompted President Dwight D. Eisenhower to appoint his longtime friends, John Cox and General Joseph Swing, as INS Commissioner. According to Attorney General Herbert Brownell Jr., Eisenhower had a sense of urgency about illegal immigration upon taking office. In a letter to Sen. William Fulbright, Eisenhower quoted a report in The New York Times that said, "The rise in illegal border-crossing by Mexican 'wetbacks' (rooted from the watery route taken by the Mexican immigrants across the Rio Grande) to a current rate of more than 1,000,000 cases a year has been accompanied by a curious relaxation in ethical standards extending all the way from the farmer-exploiters of this contraband labor to the highest levels of the Federal Government."

Some 750 agents targeted agricultural areas with a goal of 1000 apprehensions a day. By the end of July, over 50,000 immigrants were caught in the two states. Around 488,000 illegal immigrants are claimed to have left voluntarily for fear of being apprehended. By September, 80,000 had been taken into custody in Texas, and the INS estimates that 500,000 to 700,000 had left Texas on their own. To discourage re-entry, buses and trains took many deportees deep within Mexico before releasing them. Tens of thousands more were deported by two chartered ships, the Emancipation and the Mercurio. The ships ferried them from Port Isabel, Texas, toVeracruz, Mexico, more than 500 miles (800 kilometers) to the south. Some were taken as far as 1,000 miles.

• leavingwt
  • beksbks
    beksbks
    There is only one reason that illegal immigration is allowed by the government, 'cheap labor'.
    There is also the issue of easy cheap votes.

How's that if they are illegal ???

People like Maddow want this to be racial because they want to defeat immigration law. They in turn want that because they want the illegal immigrants to be legalized (an Obama agenda as well) simply for the voting block they represent.

Oh Woods, I suspect you've been listening to some right wing talking heads. What was Reagan's reason for the largest amnesty to date? And don't fool yourself about the racism issue, read up on the Senator who presented this and his neo nazi buddies. Again, why aren't we hitting the employers hard? That is where this thing could really be squashed if it was indeed the goal. Illegal immigration is a problem, one that seriously needs to be addressed. But this law has one huge problem. And frankly out4good3 hit the nail on the head. How can you tell the difference between an illegal immigrant and a legal immigrant OR Mexican American (or any other brown American), without asking for papers? One nit wit advocate in California said the way they dress, their shoes, but mostly behavior. What the hell does that mean??? The problem is not how this law will effect illegals, it's how it will effect Americans and legal immigrants.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit