New Here....and a Brief Intro

by Yan Bibiyan 43 Replies latest jw friends

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Welcome to the board!

I am very analytical by nature and if 2+2 ain't 4, there is no way I can accept that and move on. Yet, I kept thinking that maybe I don't get it just yet and need to "study" more to get the big picture. In the mean time, I started getting the questions of "what my spiritual goals are", the urgency to set such and the commitment to follow through with them.

I'm sure this resonates with most people on this board. I am also very analytical and even though I was raised in, it never added up to me either. I also thought I needed to study more or do more because I wasn't getting the same euphoria as the rest of them. And thats how they get you...rush, rush, rush to salvation by doing more and getting involved as deeply as possible right away. Hurry, hurry before Armageddon comes.

Glad to hear you and your wife were able to talk it out peacefully.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome and thank you for your post.

I lived half of my adult life under Communist regime in the former Eastern Block and let me tell you - the resemblance between the old communist tricks and the WT methodology is so striking, that I feel fully competent to share experiences, give advice and be an authority in JW matters, even though I had never been one.

I was surprised reading Lifton and Singers research into Communist control tactics how similar it was to the Watchtower and found it very interesting to see you found the same similarity.

• zoiks
    zoiks

A warm welcome to you!

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hi Yan

Nice to have you here with us - great intro, and I look forward to learning more about you.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Welcome - that was an excellent introductory post.

Good job on seeing through the JW propaganda, excellent job on helping your wife with it.

• awildflower
    awildflower

this oxymoron should have been my first clue to the path of dissonance

I love that Yan, and welcome! I was the active jw wife for 15 years, and like you, my military husband tried like hell to "get" the WTS. He thought maybe the more he studied things would make since. But like you "2+2 was not equaling 4". It was sealed for him when he went thought the Revelation book a couple years ago and couldn't understand how the WTS applied everything written in Revelation to them personally. Then on top of a bad experience with the "brothers", he totally saw what was going on. I'm so glad for him personally that he never decided to join the cult. Since then our whole family has gotten out for different reasons. I love your statement up top because I had to deal with idiot "elders" that were to young and inexperienced to know anything about life. It's absurd.

Never give up with your wife, and NEVER let those people around you without tearing apart their dogma.

Glad your here.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes.

I will try to answer some questions posted in the replies:

Heartbreaker – my wife’s introduction to the board will have to happen at a later time. I can see that she had some struggle accepting the facts, even as gently as I presented them. You guys here are too intense for her right now

Snowbird, upnorth, shopaholic, zoiks popsiclecakes, and aSphereisnotsCircle – thank you for your warm welcomes, looking forward to reading more from/about you.

Leavingwt – thank you for your welcome and for the giving me the award for having certain questionable words on my very first post last night ..

Teel – hello neighbor (and a partner in crime on former ideology )

Dissed – yes, I am actually reading the bible. I want at least to be able to put everything I know about it in proper chronology. Thank you for the link.

Mad Sweeny, Yknot and jwfacts – the similarities between the communist propaganda and WT tactics are so many that I may have to think out and post a separate thread. In a nutshell, however, they can be summed up with: us vs.them mentality, exclusivity of information, self-proclaimed liberator of the masses, demand for free labor, intimidation, spying and using family members as a weapon against you, zero tolerance to dissenting opinion, secretly using and very much enjoying the very “goods and services” their ideology fights against, etc, etc, etc. I can go all day. I will write a more coherent post in near future to elaborate on those and give personal accounts, if anyone is interested.

Awildflower – thank you and I am really glad it has worked out for you too; give a kiss to your husband. Frankly, I want to buy him a beer, but he’ll probably appreciate more the kiss from you.

-Yan

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A warm welcome to you. Keep being there for her, keep learning. They may try to reel her in yet. Have you read Ray Franz's CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE ? You should do so, or even better- your wife should do so. COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL sounds right up your alley.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Hello, and I loved your intro!

From,

palmtree

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome Yan Bibiyan!

I made an easy call to my "bible study" elder conductor and told him that I am suspending the studies until I sit down and read the entire bible on my own so I know what the heck am I "studying".

Sounds like you have you head screwed on the right way round :)

Anyhow, I hope you end up reading the bible with their "aid". You will learn more by yourself than thousand of hours with them.

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit