Submission and stupid rules

by Lady Lee 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

How about the only brother leading the group is a baptized ten-year old. Now, that's fun. All the experienced pioneer sisters have to follow his lead.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Very interesting thread. Marked for later

• garyneal
    garyneal

Emptyinside

Is that for real? Now that is funny!

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I've often done "men's work" too, as it paid better. I once worked at a mill where I was the only woman employee, working with 200 men.

The elders were horrified that my dad let me do this, but he did, in spite of my mother having a cow about it. I'm tall, strongly built and was the only woman that applied who knew how to drive a big truck. I've also helped my husband do plumbing work. (In spite of the "strong build" I do not look like a cave woman...and I wear skirts occasionally. LOL) I worked on a sheep and cattle ranch a few summers in my younger days, doing ranch hand chores, milking cows, cleaning stables, delivering lambs, staying up with sick animals all night, driving a team of horses and wagon out to feed cattle, you name it. I was a cowboy, basically.

I like working with tools and materials, and I write stories about cops, samurai warriors and science fiction worlds where I often write male characters. Sadly, until recently, men seemed to be having all the fun in fiction. I don't like being or writing damsels in distress, sorry.

I don't have any sisters, one brother and no female cousins on one side of my family. I pretty much grew up in the testosterone sea, so I enjoy the company of men. It was women I had to learn to be around more, actually. I was relieved to find out that they're all not as nutty as my mother. *G*

My dad never did fall for that JW crap about women can't do certain things. But, he's always had problems with the JW stuff. I keep hoping one day he'll just fade the rest of the way out and tell my crazy cakes mother to stuff it.

Yes, I'm still female and I like it, but not when someone tells me I can't do something without a doily on my head. *scoffs*

It was awful being smarter than some men and not being able to tell them, nicely, that they were being stupid. I hate that. I've been a substitute teacher and believe me, it's wrong for someone to go on thinking they're right without being corrected. Probably one of the worst things in the world is to be a smart and talented woman in a moronic subculture/cult where it's not valued, and actually a handicap. It's frustrating to the point of insanity.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes, especially in my old congregation it was common for a young boy,if baptized, to lead the group for service if no other brothers were present.

He had to do the text and arrange the car groups. Some did this before they were even teenagers.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

what was worse for some people was when the son was baptized at 10 yrs old. His mother now had to be in subjection to him in spirituak matters. Previous to the baptism she could say the prayer for the family. But once the son was baptized she could only do that if she put something on her head to show her submission. I know many women who voiced their dislike of this rule by putting a towel or napkin on their heads.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

mindmelda

Probably one of the worst things in the world is to be a smart and talented woman in a moronic subculture/cult where it's not valued, and actually a handicap. It's frustrating to the point of insanity.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Wow, now that is just stupid.

But concerning the whole 'head covering' thing, I asked my wife about this and from her response and from what you said, Lady Lee, it appears that the witnesses take this literally.

I know other churches take this more in a figurative sense. Like a woman speaking and prophecying with a male pastor or elder (him being the head covering).

• cult classic
    cult classic

garyneal - yes what emptyinside says it totally true. In my home congregation there were lots of families. There were many mornings where no mature brothers were out and my brothers and cousins had to take out the group. It was really ridiculous. They were so uncomfortable and giddy. But it was considered a part of their training. And the older sisters would fawn over them, actually relieved they didn't have to conduct.

As they got into the teen years though, that submission thing was turned on its head. If the older sisters didn't like the way the young brothers arranged the car group or divided the territory, things would get ugly..............so much for submission.

ladylee - yep, and if the baptized 10 yr old wasn't able to take out the group, it was so crazy watching the sisters look for something to throw on their head..........lol

Cult Classic

• blondie
    blondie

What many jw men forget is submission is supposedly a quality required of all God's subjects all the way up to and including Jesus. Somehow submission is seen as something only for women.

Ironically, I had to push the "submit" button to post this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit