What's a really good movie you'd recommend that most people probably haven't seen?

by A.Fenderson 140 Replies latest social entertainment

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Luther Historically very accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jilpbQaHpY

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Tampopo (Dandelion) - Japanese

Daremo Shiranai (Nobody Knows) - Japanese

Wings of Honneamise, Royal Space Force - also Japanese, animated

Salaam Bombay - Indian

• poppers
    poppers

Der Untergang "Downfall"- You know the one that they parody on Youtube. This is actually a very good movie. FEGELEIN FEGELEIN FEGELEIN!

I agree. I also own it. For those who like quirky comedy in an outer space setting try Dark Star.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The Other Man, starring Liam Nieson and Antonio Banderas.

It has a 'chick/flick' feel in parts, but doesn't really develop into that. The screenplay is excellent, keeping the plot close to the vest until the last portion of the film.

Jeff

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Wow, too many to mention. I really love Peter Weir films; many people have seen his more popular ones like Master and Commander, Witness, The Truman Show or Dead Poets Society, but his lesser known ones like Fearless, The Last Wave and Picnic at Hanging Rock are also awesome, as well. They are certainly more emotionally challenging films (with exception to Dead Poets Society, perhaps). Fearless has another under-apreciated performance by Jeff Bridges and Picnic at Hanging Rock just well, rocks, if you like low-level sinister mystery with all sorts of subtle undertones that are implied but not thrown in your face outright.

Of course, one of my top three favorite directors is Terrence Malick, and every film he's done is simply amazing. Particularly The Badlands and Days of Heaven, each being a masterpiece. The Thin Red Line remains as one of the best war films I've seen, although some people see it thinking they're in for something like Saving Private Ryan and are dissapointed by its more internalized approach. It's not a typical action war movie.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Das Boot.

You're kidding, MM. I love Das Boot. Ausgezeichnet!

Read (yeah I know this is a movie thread but this should be made into a movie) Bomber by Len Deighton. Similar kind of perspective-shift.

Der Untergang - also brilliant.

I recommend Shutter Island. A decent portrayal of the book (but the book's better of course).

• dissed
    dissed

From the oldies files...

"The Heart is a lonely hunter"

From the book, it translates well. Alan Arkin made his name in this movie. He opened up the entire deaf culture to me for the first time.

"Movies that make you think are nice. Movies that make you feel are special."

• llbh
    llbh

Juno is well worth seeing too. I loved Rabbit Proof Fence.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If you're interested in CG special effects then 2012 is great. If you're interested in character development then pass on it.

W

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Don't know if this one was mentioned but I loved "The World's Fastest Indian" starring Anthony Hopkins. Based on the true story of Burt Munro from New Zealand and his quest to have the fastest 1920' Indian motorcycle. He actually made it to the Bonneville salt flats and set records.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit