What's a really good movie you'd recommend that most people probably haven't seen?

by A.Fenderson 140 Replies latest social entertainment

• shamus100
    shamus100

Thanks for the thread!

I'm a big indie movie guy - I rarely watch any hollywood shit movies because they're just, well, awful.

I'm assuming the espanol movies have subtitles, no?

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Sim or si I speak Portuguese not Spanish

• beksbks
    beksbks

Jean de Florette!!!

The Station Agent

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I watched the Wrestler with Micky Rourke tonight, it was good.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Travellers and Magicians.

A stunning movie from the Buddhist country called Bhutan. The directer is a Buddhist monk and the story flows on two levels. This movie gave me a greater understanding of the depth in Buddhist thought.

Sounds boring, I know but do yourself a favour and rent it. 5 STAR!!! (Oh, yeah, the cinematography is awesome)

• maputo95
    maputo95

A really unusual film which JWs would probably object to is "A Haunting in Connecticut". It is a story of a miracle as well as a haunting. It is based on a true story and is brilliant despite what some critics say. I give it 9/10.

• chickpea
    chickpea

Jakob the Liar with Robin Williams

1999 film set in nazi-occupied polish ghetto

Babette's Feast

1987 best foreign language film academy award
    based on the story by isak dineson
    (aka karen blixen "out of africa")

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Chalk me up as someone who hated the Wrestler. Very unrealistic, no old timer would do half the stuff he did regardless of how much "passion" he had for the business. There's more than one area in the country, NY/NJ is this wierd sub-culture in indy wrestling which is not indicative of 90% of the country. The rest of the country makes fun of that region for terrible wrestling and idiot wrestlers.

For my movies to recommend, I'm a huge dork when it comes to documentaries; I'd suggest "The Smartest Men In The Room" regarding the whole Enron thing.

For comedy I suggest Dirty Work

• llbh
    llbh

Pan's Labyrinth. I loved slumdog millionaire as well.The Diving Bell and The Butterfly- very French, is poignant.

David

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I love all the Bourne films and have watched them a few times, but they are pretty big films most have probably seen and have a view on one way or another. Like Shamus I also loved Motorcycle Diaries - what young man doesn't dream of such adventure, and putting the world to rights?

I will try to choose a few perhaps slightly less well known films I have watched recently and liked.

About Schmidt - excellent story of an ordinary life gone wrong in a terrifyingly believable and ordinary way.

Everything Is Illuminated - about obsessions, identity, different cultures, coming to terms with the past.

Acts of Love (or Carried Away) - an older man has an affair with a young woman and reevaluates his relationship with his childhood sweetheart. The acting is patchy in places but good ideas well presented.

The Emerald Forest - a young boy is kidnapped by Amazon Indians and is integrated into the tribe only to be recovered many years later as the tribe faces existential threat.

Evil - a boy has a hard time adjusting to boarding school, worth persevering with the English subtitles from the Swedish original.

Sweet Sixteen - about a Scottish boy who saw drug dealing as an escape from his background only to be overtaken by events.

The Importance of Being Ernest - I have good memories of watching this film in an English cinema in Vienna. I like Oscar Wilde film adaptations in general: also see A Good Woman with the beautiful Scarlett Johansson.

The Third Man - talking about Vienna, if anyone has somehow managed not to see it yet, it's an old classic with Orson Welles, not to be missed.

Most of these are fairly mainstream, but some ideas anyway.

Pan's Labyrinth gets a big thumbs up from me too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit