Most-Ignored Scriptures by JWs

by Mad Sweeney 508 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JeffT
    JeffT

John 10

25Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all [d] ; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one."

They pull verse 30 out of context, ignoring everything before it, and say that Jesus and Jehovah were 'one in purpose' or some such. Taken in context, it is clear that is not what he meant.

Romans 10:9

That if you confess with your mouth, "JesusisLord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

When I was doing by research prior to the DA letter, I discovered that if they had fully followed their own rules for replacing "Lord" with "Jehovah" in the NT this scripture would read "Jesus is Jehovah." Oops.

There must be a scientific name for this.

Until we find one I am quite content to call it "bull$%^&" and let it go at that.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Nice verse belbab :)

There's plenty more in that chapter for the JWs

Amos 5:21-26 (New International Version)

21 "I hate, I despise your religious feasts;
    I cannot stand your assemblies.

22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
    I will not accept them.
    Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
    I will have no regard for them.

23 Away with the noise of your songs!
    I will not listen to the music of your harps.

24 But let justice roll on like a river,
    righteousness like a never-failing stream!

25 "Did you bring me sacrifices and offerings
    forty years in the desert, O house of Israel?

26 You have lifted up the shrine of your king,
    the pedestal of your idols,
    the star of your god —
    which you made for yourselves.

Blessings, Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

JeffT When I was doing by research prior to the DA letter, I discovered that if they had fully followed their own rules for replacing "Lord" with "Jehovah" in the NT this scripture would read "Jesus is Jehovah." Oops.

Indeed! A sad irony the WT deny who Jesus is.

John 1:1 (New International Version)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Philippians 2:5-6 (New International Version)

5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped

Matthew 1:23 (New International Version)

23 "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"—which means, "God with us."

Colossians 1:15-16 (New International Version)

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.

Blessings,

Stephen

• heathen
    heathen

actually the mind your own buisness stuff was in recent pubs. Of course the only thing that mattered was that you could answer the question on the bottom of the page not that the message ever sinks in. I know they don't like the scripture where Paul tell women to remain silent in the church. They seriously twist some scripture to conclude that women are in the 144k .They insist the bible doesn't contradict when there are several obvious places it does .

• somebody
    somebody

LUKE 8:39 NWT

Mark 5:19,20 NWT

19 However, he did not let him, but said to him: “Go home to your relatives, and report to them all the things Jehovah has done for you and the mercy he had on you.” 20 And he went away and started to proclaim in the De·cap′o·lis all the things Jesus did for him, and all the people began to wonder.

peace,

somebody/gwen

39 “Be on your way back home, and keep on relating what things God did for you.” Accordingly he went away, proclaiming throughout the whole city what things Jesus did for him.
  • sd-7
    sd-7

2 Corinthians 12:21--a scripture that has NEVER been discussed in any of the Society's literature (at least not in terms of its context, I found only a citation of it during an entirely unrelated discussion, at best), proved comforting to me in a time of grief over the DF'ing of a loved one:

21I am afraid that when I come again my God may humiliate me before you, and I may mourn over many of those who have (BG) sinned in the past and not repented of the (BH) impurity, immorality and sensuality which they have practiced.

The apostle Paul MOURNED over unrepentant ones. I was never told by anyone that it was perfectly normal to mourn over such ones--acceptable enough to be worth recording in an open letter to the whole congregation and thus part of the scriptural record. If anything, I was made to feel guilty for it. But Paul had genuine love for his fellow Christians, including those who fell into sin. This is a concept utterly foreign to JWs. Frankly, I believe THIS is the most ignored scripture, hands down. But I'm a little biased.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Luke 9:49-50, " 49"Master," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us."

50 "Do not stop him," Jesus said, "for whoever is not against you is for you."

I hate the WTS views toward other Christians. Its always an Us vs Them mentality which is something that carried over from Rutherford's regime. Its 2010, and the average church going Christian never had a thought of critisizing JWs, much less persecuting JWs. The WTS disdain of other Christians is self defeating because when you think about it, most people have not one clue about JW's beliefs. I blame that partly on the fact that JW's are preaching to the converted, a la other Christians. Where I live, we have demographics which include many foreign people coming from India, Asia, Eastern Europe, amongst other places. I still believe Christians should preach and teach, but not to other Christians who are already believers. Its a waste of time preaching to Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, and other groups. The disagreements between different Christian groups are petty IMO. But in the GB's view, any disagreement with them and their views, marks one as False Religion. Its arrogant, haughty, and dispicable.

• My Struggle
  • rocketman
    rocketman

First of all, interesting thread, and many good comments. However, it seems as though some replies contain scriptures that the jws don't ignore but simply interpret differently.

Among those often ignored is one quoted by Olin Moyle's Ghost, and with good reason - the WTS simply cannot interpret this scripture without the irony of implicating themselves: :Luke 21:8: He said: “Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them. [In other words, Jesus said don't follow religious leaders who say The End is near.]"

• belbab
    belbab

Isaiah 26:9

For when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.

What does the fading disagreed slave teach in the books about Isaiah's prophecies? When the judgements of God come upon the evil doers, it is not the evil doers that learn what is right, it is the faithful and discreet slave that learn what God's righteous ness is.

belbab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit