As You've Gotten Older Have You Changed Your Thoughts On Marriage?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

I got married when I was 19. I think guilt played a big part in making it official, but I think we would have stayed together and had the same life, married or not. We have two beautiful children.

This time, we've been together for almost 9 years, living together for 5 and are getting married this year. I think it's more about pride and family and sharing than anything else. Also, at our age, I need to have a say when it's time to pull the plug

• poppers
    poppers

poppers: Wow, five marraiges. I know someone at work who's been married that many times. All I can say is, if I screw it up once, I may consider remarriage. Twice? Well I think I would just call it quits.

I know. Even more amazing is that the mother of one of his wives had been married 9 times! Some people need that as part of their identity - "Who am I if I'm not married?" I posted this quote on another thread, but I think it fits here perfectly: "All man’s miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone." — Pascal

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Marriage at a very young age scared me to death. Now that I am married, I can't for the life of me think of not being married to my most wonderful wife and I would not know what to do or how to move on without her. She's my life!!!!!!

Yiz

• beksbks
    beksbks

I love sitting in a quiet room alone. With Honey Bunny.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

As I have gotten older, I think I have changed my thoughts on most everything.

Honestly, would you have done anything different in your life regarding marrying??

I hate such questions. We don't get do-overs for our past. It's a lesson in futility to keep second-guessing.
    Sure, we would do things different, most of us. But we cannot. If we could, and things turn out worse, then what?

Suppose I go back and correct my past according to what I thought I did wrong and I wound up on my third divorce instead? ...or dead?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

You are a candidate for marriage if you feel this way about the other person and it pretty much sums up how I felt..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CYI5bKZMes

Grow old with you from The Wedding Singer....

Snoozy..married at 15 and it lasted for 45 years till he sadly passed....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No - minimus - I have been blessed. Marriage is good - would not have done anything different - it is only the WT that poisons it with their warped view

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I think a lot of people just give up and don't do what it takes to work together and make compromises to help a marriage last.
    They bail out..

I think also that anyone planning on having kids, would do their future children a great service to marry their father/mother first!. I can't tell you how much the term "My baby's daddy" saddens me.

Remember when you lay down with that person that something could happen to link you to that person for at least 18 years if not longer...

Snoozy..

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Indeed. When I was in the Troof all I ever thought about was getting married right after high school, imagining what my dress was going to look like and who was going to finally be able to rip it off me on our wedding night. Then as I got older, started being "bad" and dating guys when I should of been preparing my Watchtower, I was still thinking about marriage but just because of the 'world's' norm that also taught being married is the thing to do (even if the age time frame has changed we still today see being past 25 and single sort of a scary thing)

But here I am at 26, single and loving life. I find that I have two types of friends. The single girlfriends who answer the phone at a moment's notice are down to go catch lunch or go out for a glass of wine. My single friends always seem so much more intelligent and cultured. They've taken road trips and travelled to a distant land or two one summer. I can debate about politics with girlfriends.

But attached woman who are young and married seem like they still have much growing/experiencing to do and don't have the same chances to.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Still a witness...

IMO Not true...

Married couples travel together and enjoy it with their family..someone is always there with them to share the memories..

Singles more intelligent?

Being married or single doesn't make you smarter (usually lol), going to college/studying does. Unless all your single friends went to college I can't agree with you there.

You would be surprised what married women know..they just don't feel the need to let everyone else know..

They have a much wider base of knowledge in my opinion.

Singles are so wrapped up in themselves sometimes they can be quite boring...

I guess it just depends on what side of the fence you are on..

Snoozy..

ps..Single unattached women to me are a bunch of giggling , self centered know it all's that don't have a clue what life is all about...

pps.. I didn't like discussing politics when I was single and I didn't like it when I was married..so that one doesn't flow either...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit