As You've Gotten Older Have You Changed Your Thoughts On Marriage?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• dandingus
    dandingus

Sorry undercover, not following you. Reason enough for what?

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

I have always thought and still do that marriage is a really big commitment that should not be rushed into. This is not based on any religious ideas, but for two reasons:

1. You are making a promise to this person to always love and be with them whatever may happen, that’s a big promise so you had better be sure that you can live up to that.
    2. You are agreeing to a legal contract that gives this person certain rights in your life and you in his.

Personally I like being married, but I don't think it’s for everyone.

• cantleave
    cantleave

God, trust the Mrs. to grab the wrong end of the stick!!!!!!!!!!!

To clarify, after 22 years of happily married life I wouldn't change a thing.

(is that OK nugget?)

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

ROFL cantleave.

• Mr Moody
    Mr Moody

I was 29 when I got married and that was right for me. I still believe marriage is of benefit, but I would discourage my children from getting to young...Saying that my wife was 19 when she married me...Yes I'm a craddle snatcher...

• nugget
    nugget

I don't have the wrong end of the stick. You say that because the whips at the other end. I want to see real penetance and appreciation for the wonder that is me.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Look dearest if you've got the whip, I'll go and find the gimp hood.

• dgp
    dgp

I think everybody's thoughts on marriage change as we age. For some time I have also believed that marriage would be much more of a happy thing if society (not just the WTS, but society as a whole) didn't see it as something that has to concern anybody but the two people actually involved. I noticed that someone mentioned that he felt like the marriage concerned the whole congregation. Yes, that's the big problem I see. The fact that for some reason people think that they have a say in what should be just the way two people share their lives and love each other.

Cantleave, I take it Nugget is meek?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

LOL @ nugget & cantleave - that's priceless.

• dissed
    dissed

After being married for 33 very happy years, one question entered my mind about our relationship........

We were both JW's at the age of 21 when we got hitched. Our values then and future thoughts were with JWism.

Times have changed, we left the WT 13 years ago, still very happy, but would we do it all over again with lifes new values?

We talked about this in normal conversation about two years ago. Later that week, to my surprise, she really had thought about this. She said this is what she wants, to grow old together. But the surprise? That she took so much time to think about it.

For me, it was like 10 minutes, and yup, sure we made the right choice inspite of the JW stuff. For her, she needed time to ponder this.

Yikes, she had me worried for a few days. Financially, she is independantly very wealthy, she doesn't need the financial security a couple may desire.

Still I wondered......

Next time maybe we shouldn't be discussing this stuff or we might end up like Cantleave and Nugget, jk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit