Does Anyone Miss Being In The Jehovah's Witness Cult?

by minimus 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

I don't miss it or them one bit, but it was a long time ago and i left at a young age.

I don't hate the org or them either, no more than the Mormons, Baptists or any fundie nutjob clubs. lol. A lot of what they do and are ain't right but there's enough of that to go around when it comes to religion.

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

No way do I miss beind in the Jehovah's Witnesses cult! However, I dearly miss my sister and other family members who are JWs. Also, there were some really cool people whom I remember with fondness. But, no, I cannot say that I miss being in the Jehovah's Witnesses!

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

I agree, Minimus. Your question is a good one. Even though I have been out of the Witnesses for over twenty years I feel a sense of relief at being out of the cult. JDHF, how long have you been out? When I first got out I think I may have felt a void, but now I am just so happy to be away from that religion there is no sense of emptiness at all. I remember when I was a JW someone asking where else was there to go. Now I believe Jesus the Christ is where to go. I don't attend any church at all. As far as choosing a church goes, I have no idea where to go. I'm not comfortable in a church, anyway, not because of bad memories of being in Kingdom Halls, but because I just haven't found a church that feels right to me. However, I know that Jesus is there, and I can always go to Him. He is the only mediator between God, our Heavenly Father, and humankind, so I know He is where to go. I hope I don't sound 'preachy'! I am just trying to say how I feel personally. Everyone here has his/her own path to follow on his/her spiritual journey, and everyone needs to be true to oneself. JDHF, I hope that you eventually (SOON, I hope!) no longer feel that void, that you can fill it with what is meaningful to you, that you will be happy! I, myself, feel certainty in my life, not because I know anything in particular, but because I believe things will happen in God's time according to His plan. I guess faith in that and in Jesus is what counts to me. I find fulfillment in that. I wish everyone here the best and true happiness.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Do you ever miss it?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh mercy! Like I would ever miss going in service, or singing those shitty songs with fellow jobie nitwits.

• flipper
    flipper

One word ? No

• dandingus
    dandingus

No one's posted on this thread for a couple of days, but I feel compelled to add my two cents. Unlike some, who responded to your question, Mimimus, with a glib "no" and ran away, I think it is a thought provoking and insightful question. I was a Regular Pioneer for 6 years and a MS who spent some time at Bethel and even went to an International Convention in South America before I left. I was baptised at 16 and was in until I was 24. I have been out for more than 5 years, but still have family who are witnesses. They barely talk to me, if at all, even though I was never disfellowshipped or disassociated. I just kind of walked out the door and never walked back in.

In doing so I feel liberated in a way, but I can definitely say that there is a great deal of confusion. I'm a scientifically minded person who now considers myself to be agnostic, but losing God has also meant losing the certainty and direction I had in life. Religion of any kind simply will not do any longer. And sometimes I feel like I've lost part of myself in all of that. Sometimes now it seems there's no point to it all, so why bother? Anyone else feel that way sometimes? So I guess I miss feeling like I was a part of something larger than myself instead of being out here on my own with no real sense of where it is I'm heading.

I would also say that for me it's the loss of every friend I'd ever known. Truth be told, many of them weren't really friends at all, just people who would use me and never give anything in return. But a few (very few) were friends for their part and I do miss them. I never really made friends in school with non-Witnesses (because why would we, that would have been aweful, right?), so they were all I ever had. I also miss the only girl I ever fell in love with, who is still a witness. And even though she married someone else now, she still has my email address and has been bugging me to come back to the church. She even invited me to the District Convention last summer, which was really odd after all these years being out. But the weirdest part was that I went. Just for half of one day, that was all I could stomach. And I'm sure I rocked their world a little since I now have a beard and long hair and showed up dressed head to toe in all black. :) But I still ask myself why it is that I even considered doing that. I'm not sure I have an answer.

So I would say "yes", and "no" to missing being a Witness. You can't unlearn what you have learned, so I don't think I could go back if I wanted to (which I don't). But there are certain things about that life, and who I was when I was living it, that I miss very much sometimes.

Great, great question. Thanks.

• wobble
    wobble

Dear dandingus,

Your feelings are very much mine too, I was in for 58 years ! I do feel now though a great excitement every day, knowing that what I do or don't do is down to me, how I shape my future,is down to me.
    Yes, I have left behind friends, a few, acquaintances, many, but I now have FREEDOM !

And as I am an old fossil,and can measure my remaining life in weeks, 520 perhaps? I am 60yrs old, I am going to use my freedom.

The past is done, no time to spend on regret, must get on !

Love

Wobble

• minimus
    minimus

WELCOME DANDINGUS!!!

A lot of people feel they have no hope now.

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

I think we all miss them

that's why we keep talking about them here.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Blek...I just threw up a little

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit