Does Anyone Miss Being In The Jehovah's Witness Cult?

by minimus 70 Replies latest jw friends

• jdhf
    jdhf

FS I agree with you totally.. after 15 years baptized and SURE about my future and place in it, I am left with a huge void, and not being sure of anything anymore. I hate having been lied to but do miss the certainty of it all. I feel like I've been pushed out of a plane without a parachute...

• yknot
    yknot

Reason for growth:

Bad economy forcing many to move back to hometown. Most just attend to keep the peace and keep free childcare from Grandparents.

Belief like we all used to believe is WAY DOWN!

FS fudging is WAY UP!

I am happy to report too that Tuesday night meeting attendance is dwindling and is expect to stay that way until the last season of Lost is over!

Last weeks count according to some who live 'in town' (thusly having access to cable and Tivo)...... a mere 36 down from 88!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Let's see what there was to miss about field circus:

1: Getting up in time to be there at 9 AM--even though I really didn't want to be out there.

2: Dreading seeing someone ugly at the door or that stinks.

3: Dreading having to place a rag or other piece of littera-trash.

4: Dreading my partners having a discussion, usually five minutes before I was supposed to have gone in, that would be intentionally dragged out to hours and hours long.

5: Having to be out in hot weather, with the collar button done up as if it was cold.

6: All the stupid rules about every detail of my time out in field circus.

7: Being with all just plain men the whole time I was in field circus.

The boasting sessions were as bad. I hated those rags telling me not to do what I was hard-wired to need to do. Invariably, there was at least one boasting session that was a hardship for me to attend, because they disrupted my sleep. After a while, they were all too predictable--a waste of my time to even attend.

The bigger boasting sessions are an even worse waste of time. They wasted a whole day, or a weekend. I always got a headache after a day at a big boasting session. Also, wasting all that time and money trying to reserve a motel room for a Grand Boasting Session was not fun: I had better things to do with the $100 or so on motel rooms than attend these wastefests. And the whole thing was a complete waste of my time and energy--all to just meet other men (meaning there was absolutely no advantage for me to even bother going at all).

• boyzone
    boyzone

I miss them - they were my friends.

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

Hey `cmon, the Allegro was a great car.

The only thing I miss was the times I used to answer using The Living Bible, and not the nwt.....

On second thoughts, no, I miss them like a person misses hemorrhoids.

Regards

Paul Uk

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

You know what I really really miss and cherish fondly?? Being different in school- having no friends or social skills, being pressed as to why I can't do this or that, feeling bad about myself. And from there to not really fitting into any of the cliques at the hall. All the while feeling guilty for not doing enough, not reading enough and that if i did more i would be accepted.

Please do not take that as a call for pity, I really am fine today.

• TardNFeatheredJW
    TardNFeatheredJW
    Does Anyone Miss Being In The Jehovah's Witness Cult?

No.

"do you still miss the time that school bully kicked you in the balls?"

Yes.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was on a tropical island recently. I was headed for another day of fun and sun and snorkeling and all that jazz. I see these two fellows with their light blue shirts and ties on, walking the territory with their bookbags in hand.

There are several Mormons on the island, but the shirts being light blue instead of white, no "elder" nametags, and just my knowledge of JW's told me who they were.

I see them all the time at home, but this was a very good reminder of how so much time was wasted in that cult.

I saw the Kingdom Hall that day, had to turn around in their parking lot. I was tempted to do some donuts or maybe stop and take a leak by the door. But I ain't that kinda guy.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

LOL, that sort of drama would have been more exciting for the members than the crap they had to listen to inside.

• TardNFeatheredJW
    TardNFeatheredJW
    I can so relate to that. For me, I had more certainty about those things before I was exposed to the cult thinking. Now I sometimes find myself to be twisted and confused.

I remember now that I did become very depressed for a couple weeks some time after leaving and realizing what a sham the borg is. All that certainty and "black and white" turned to gray swirls.

I came to the realization that my parents would die and I would die. I was 25. This was extremely traumatic, although it seemed weird to other people. How the hell do you explain to someone that you (at 25) just realized you are mortal and your parents are mortal? I must admit, I did cry quite a bit at that time, but finally I grieved, the process took place, and I am now understanding and okay with my mortality and my parents mortality. I can only imagine the shock to the system for the new definition of generation, when millions of members of JW will suddenly get their dose of mortality all at once.

I also came to the realization that everyone has the same life problems as me (high level generality) and that, quite often, there is no black and white answer. There is no purpose in judging, the only need for morality is to maintain civility, respect, and dignity. Not to please some ghosty spirit that man created to intimidate us into behaving as men see fit. I believe (right or wrong) we have one life, and must enjoy it to its fullest, make it last as long as possible, and create a sense of well being among the people with whom we cross paths. Without a god, our conscience and community spirit becomes our guide. My legacy will not be everlasting life or an accomplishment for a book publishing house, but will (hopefully) be well adjusted children who will follow my footsteps in creating an aura of well being amongst their friends and family. Time will tell how that pans out for me.

I am now agnostic, mortal, and basically happy. Where others have faith, I admit ignorance. I am comfortable with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit