by JWFreak 36 Replies latest jw friends

• JWFreak
    JWFreak

More Company drivel

January 19, 2010

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS

Re: Use of ministerial servants where the number of elders is limited

Dear Brothers:

This letter replaces the letter dated July 3, 2009, to all bodies of elders. The direction con-
    tained in that letter has not changed and has been repeated in paragraphs 2-5 of this letter. Thus,
    the July 3, 2009, letter should be removed from the congregation permanent file of policy letters
    and should be destroyed. Paragraphs 6-8 of this letter contain further direction on the use of min-
    isterial servants where the number of elders is limited.

In congregations that have very few elders, capable ministerial servants who have dem-
    onstrated good judgment and discernment may be used to review with individuals the questions
    for baptism dealing with doctrinal matters. These are found in “Part I—Elementary Bible Teach-
    ings” and “Part III—Jehovah’s Arrangement of Things.” Since “Part II—Jehovah’s Righteous
    Requirements” involves sensitive personal matters, an elder should be used to consider this sec-
    tion. If the congregation does not have sufficient qualified brothers, the circuit overseer may be
    contacted to determine if a nearby congregation may assist.

When the baptismal candidate is male, the one assigned does not need another brother to
    accompany him when reviewing the questions. However, when the baptismal candidate is fe-
    male, the discussions should be held in such a way that the elder or ministerial servant is never
    alone with her. It may be possible, for example, to hold the discussion in an open room in the
    sister’s home where they will remain in plain view of others but out of earshot. Or perhaps they
    can meet at the Kingdom Hall in a similarly appropriate setting when another congregation is
    having a meeting. However, if it is necessary to take along another person, an elder should be
    used. If the congregation has few elders, a capable ministerial servant may be asked to accom-
    pany the assigned brother when considering parts I and III of the appendix.

Ministerial servants should not be used to serve on judicial committees. This updates the
    direction provided on page 6, paragraph 37, of the September 1977 Our Kingdom Ministry. In
    the extreme circumstance where three elders are not available to serve on a judicial committee,
    one or two elders from a neighboring congregation or the circuit overseer may be used to com-
    plete a judicial committee of three members. With regard to selecting elders to serve on a judicial
    committee, please see page 109, paragraphs 6-13, and pages 149-150 of the Kingdom Ministry
    School textbook.

In the rare circumstance where three elders cannot be located to serve on the judicial
    committee, two elders may care for the matter. The two elders will function as an appointed judi-
    cial committee. (Matt. 18:19, 20) However, prior to their informing the person of their decision,
    the chairman of the committee will submit a printed or typewritten report to the branch office.
    The confidential report should clearly outline the facts of the case and the conclusion reached by
    the responsible judicial committee. This report is to be sent to the branch office whether the deci-
    sion is to disfellowship the individual or not. The branch office will review the report and con-
    firm receipt of it in writing to the judicial committee. Thereafter, the two elders will inform the
    person of the committee’s decision. (ks91 p. 121) If the decision is to disfellowship, the committee

will then submit the Notification of Disfellowshipping or Disassociation (S-77) form to the
    branch office in the usual way.

In congregations where there are insufficient elders to fulfill the responsibilities of the
    coordinator of the body of elders, the congregation secretary, and the service overseer, qualified
    ministerial servants may be asked to substitute as members of the Congregation Service Committee.
    In such cases, the ministerial servant will care for many of the technical aspects of the assign-
    ment. Such work is highly valued and contributes to the smooth functioning of the congregation.
    Nevertheless, there are certain responsibilities that only elders will perform.

Regarding recommendations for elders or ministerial servants in congregations where one
    or more members of the service committee are ministerial servants, the circuit overseer will dis-
    cuss with the elders the Scriptural qualifications of the brothers who may qualify for appoint-
    ment. Any ministerial servants should not be aware of or be involved in the discussion. If it is
    decided to recommend a brother for appointment, the name will not be included on the S-2 form
    but will be submitted in a separate letter from the circuit overseer to the branch office, signed by
    him and the elders on the service committee. Of course, this letter would not be shown to any of
    the ministerial servants. In congregations with no elders, the circuit overseer himself will provide
    this letter along with the S-2 forms. If the branch office approves the recommendation, then ap-
    propriate notification will be sent to the congregation.

To what extent should ministerial servants who substitute as members of the service
    committee be used to sign documents and forms regarding service privileges of other publishers?
    This issue will often arise when sending letters of introduction for publishers or appointed ser-
    vants and in connection with approval for publishers to serve as auxiliary or regular pioneers or
    for other privileges of service. Certainly an elder should be used to fulfill this role when avail-
    able. In the absence of an elder, ministerial servants could sign letters or forms that provide gen-
    eral observations on a publisher’s share in the ministry, meeting attendance, or overall involve-
    ment in congregation activities. Nevertheless, if information regarding confidential personal
    matters needs to be conveyed to the branch office or another congregation, this should be cared
    for by a local elder or one from a neighboring congregation who is familiar with the situation.
    The circuit overseer could be called on to facilitate communication in such matters. If he is un-
    able to do so, the branch office may be consulted.

We are confident that these additional guidelines will prove helpful to you. Please be as-
    sured of our deep appreciation for your loving labors in behalf of the brothers and sisters in your
    respective congregations.—1 Thess. 1:2, 3.

Your brothers,

cc: Traveling overseers

PS to secretary:

This letter should be retained in the congregation permanent file of policy letters. You
    may wish to update the congregation copy of Index to Letters—For Bodies of Elders (S-22) at
    this time as well.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Thus, the July 3, 2009, letter should be removed from the congregation permanent file of policy letters and should be destroyed.

Wow. I mean, I have no words Well I guess I do. No wonder people in this org live in fear and anxiety with words like this. Why couldn't they just have said, "And the letter is outdated so dispose of it in some way.........." Glad I'm out!........wf

• cantleave
    cantleave

Thanks for helping me keep up to date with the latest policy files updates. I thought I was going to miss out on these gems when I stepped down. I think some doubting secretary should scan and post all the PF's on the internet, if it hasn't been done already.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub
    It may be possible, for example, to hold the discussion in an open room in the sister’s home where they will remain in plain view of others but out of earshot.

That's a bloody big room.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

people are leaving and let's rejoice.

they change policy to suit their needs, it has nothing to do with Holy Babble

• dissed
    dissed

Thanks for posting the letter.

It really indicates a serious shortage of 'appointed capables', no?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm with Wildflower on this. Destroying documents is scary cult-stuff.

First it was 1984.

Now it's Fahrenheit 451.

What's next?

• metatron
    metatron

Another evidence of Watchtower defeat. Anyone remember in the '70's how the Society dreamed that the elder arrangement would generate whole congregations filled with 'older men'?

Maybe we can hope for an updated letter on using sisters, when they lack ministerial servants.

metatron

• designs
    designs

Met,

We did get older...and a little grayer and then wiser

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    This letter replaces the letter dated July 3, 2009 ...... Thus,
    the July 3, 2009, letter should be removed from the congregation permanent file of policy letters
    and should be destroyed.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Why do they refer to it as the "congregation permanent file of policy letters" when the current one is to be destroyed and replaced with other one.

Wouldn't it make more sense to call it the "current" file instead of "permanent?"

I can't think of too many thing things "permanent" in Dubland.

Rub a adub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit