"Youth book" said 97% of teenagers Masturbate...but none of them are Witnesses! Is this unrealistic?

by Witness 007 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• donny
    donny

As the late great George Carlin once noted: "If God had intended us not to masterbate, he would have made our arms shorter."

Donny

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

100% did it. I had the distinct pleasure of giving that talk too.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster
    Why would they bother to include references to masturbation if no one in the organization masturbated?

To give the JW teen, singles, elders, pioneers, COs, POs, and whatever other initial I am leaving out another reason to feel they aren't good enough and need to do more book selling to make up for it.

• leec
    leec

Obviously there's nothing wrong with it and everyone knows it, whether they admit it or not.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Witness 007: "... but of course NONE of the holy decent Witness teenagers would EVER do such a thing"

Sorry, 007, but that statement, or even the equivalent of it is not found in WT pubs. I invite you to prove me wrong as current JW's and lurkers need to know that when someone from this board stretches the truth, someone else may step in with a bit of correction.

Here's what the Young People Ask publication actually says.
    *** YP, chap. 25 pp. 203-204 Masturbation--How Serious Is It? ***
    THESE thoughts have plagued many youths. The reason? Masturbation is widespread. Reportedly, some 97 percent of males and more than 90 percent of females have masturbated by the age of 21. Furthermore, this practice has been blamed for all manner of ills--from warts and red eyelids to epilepsy and mental illness.
    Twentieth-century medical researchers no longer make such alarming claims. Indeed, doctors today believe that no physical illness is caused by masturbation. Researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson add that "there is no established medical evidence that masturbation, regardless of frequency, leads to mental illness." Nevertheless, there are other ill effects! And many Christian youths are rightly concerned about the practice. ...

A Balanced View of Guilt
    Many youths, though generally successful in overcoming this bad habit, occasionally give in to it. Fortunately, God is very merciful. "For you, O Jehovah, are good and ready to forgive," said the psalmist. (Psalm 86:5) When a Christian succumbs to masturbation, his heart is often self-condemning. Yet, the Bible states that "God is greater than our hearts and knows all things." (1 John 3:20) God sees more than our sins. The greatness of his knowledge enables him to hear with sympathy our earnest pleas for forgiveness. As one young woman wrote: "I have felt guilty to an extent, but knowing what a loving God Jehovah is and that he can read my heart and know all my efforts and intentions keeps me from feeling too depressed when I fail on occasion." If you fight the desire to masturbate, it is not likely that you will commit the serious sin of fornication.
    The September 1, 1959, issue of The Watchtower stated: "We [may] find ourselves stumbling and falling many times over some bad habit that has bitten more deeply into our former pattern of life than we had realized. . . . Do not despair. Do not conclude you have committed the unforgivable sin. That is just how Satan would like you to reason. The fact that you feel grieved and vexed with yourself is proof in itself that you have not gone too far. Never weary of turning humbly and earnestly to God, seeking his forgiveness and cleansing and help. Go to him as a child goes to his father when in trouble, no matter how often on the same weakness, and Jehovah will graciously give you the help because of his undeserved kindness and, if you are sincere, he will give you the realization of a cleansed conscience."

Len

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i had the dad chat with my boy... i told him never to let ANYBODY make him feel guilty for being a normal red blooded male with run-away hormones. A deliberate attempt on my part to usurp what he is getting told by the org, and because i never want him to feel the 'shame' and guilt i was burdened with as a teenager.

oz

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Oh yes oooohh yess....oh yeah....come on ....ohhh yes .....

Sorry, lost myself for a moment.

Dear God forgive me for pulling my pud, this must be Satan and one of his evil works !

Wait a second, didn't you God create us with these sexual urges and desires ?

Why is it a sin then when this is the way you made us ?

Oh yes oooohh yess....oh yeah....come on ....ohhh yes .....

• shamus100
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Only 97%? Maybe the other 3% never saw fit--or it is closer to 99.7% that do it. As for the witlesses, why do they have so many guilt talks against it? If no witlesses ever did it, there would be no need to waste the time and energy discussing it in front of small children.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Watchtower also said masturbation leads to homosexuality. Does that mean 97% of people are gay?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit