Elder uses Congregation Bible Study as an opportunity to ban the movie Avatar

by easyreader1970 40 Replies latest jw friends

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

Bugs Bunny???!!! Oh, for Pete's sake!! I haven't seen Avatar, but from what I gather with the previews, it is just a fun fantasy that has nothing to do with Satan. That thinking is bizarre! I remember when 'The Exorcist' was out in the seventies, I think, JWs were warned against seeing it. Well, it's not a movie I'd want to see, anyway - - too creepy. However, I think people should be able to make mature decisions about things like this on their own, based on their personal consciences. People can think for themselves! They shouldn't be dictated to by the WTBTS. JWs need more leeway to think for themselves and make their own choices based on their own consciences.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Those kind of elders are the ones that inadvertently help individual R&F members "wake up"

• kashkrunched
    kashkrunched

The dictionary defines 'Avatar' as: "the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god". That would make Jesus an Avatar; NEW LIGHT!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Why single out this movie? I bet I could find something "demonic" about every single piece of art ever put out by man. This includes every single song, movie, TV show, video game, board game, book, art work, and poem. I could even find something "demonic" about everything in nature. All it would take is to twist the meanings of words enough, and hunting until I find a link to some pagan or spiritistic practice. Every design, from a cross to a square, circle, or straight line could also be traced to some demonic article.

This hounder simply wanted to kill the fun of the whole congregation. Next, he will be telling them that, unless they all pio-sneer during March, April, and May, they are in for a hounding call and will for sure die at Armageddon. If they don't finish the upcoming Waste of Paper Distribution Campaign, they die. They are not allowed to have any electronics or entertainment whatsoever--rather, they are supposed to waste all their time in field circus (and not make it the slightest bit fun, either), and their money on the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

I can only hope that every single member of the congregation sees that movie after that talk. What a waste of 15 minutes--and showing that, even if a rule cannot be proven, that doesn't rule it out on a local basis or that the hounder-hounder won't pick up on it. There may be a washtowel bashing the movie in a few months if the hounder-hounder picks it up and sends it to the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger.

• tinker
    tinker

My MIL and her pioneer friends go to the movies every Fri afternoon, senior price. An R rating is the only thing that stops them from seeing every film out. They have seen Avatar twice.

• chickpea
    chickpea

just another "the sky is falling!!!!!!!!" predictable
    big-fish-in-a-little-pond overreaching overreaction
    to NOTHING

oh nos! satan made ANOTHER moo vee!!!

:freakout::panics::loseit::panic::hyperventilate::wheelchairpanic:

it would be funny if it weren't so sad

• Farkel
    Farkel

Elder: I have decided that it is not scriptural to watch a fantasy movie and God will punish you if you do it, even if you don't believe it.

Dub: Will God also punish us for reading about and believing in talking snakes, Brother?

Elder:

Farkel

• TD
    TD
    He said that he googled the (original) meaning of the word Avatar and it was of Hindu religious origin. This was all the information he needed to conclude that the movie was full of demonic spiritism.

Why do JW's take so much pride in being less intelligent than a 6th grade child?

By that reasoning he would also not see the movie adaptation of The Wizard of Oz because the Lion, Tin Man and Scarecrow were dream avatars of Zeke, Hickory and Hunk.

Avatars abound in science fiction of all genres. In the Matrix trilogy, the digital projection of characters were avatars. Star Trek and Dr. Who are two series that immediately come to mind where computers of the future project digital avatar personalities.

By that reasoning, JW's would also not let their children play, WOW or Guild Wars or any RPG game that involved "Becoming" a character in a game.

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

By that reasoning, JW's would also not let their children play, WOW or Guild Wars or any RPG game that involved "Becoming" a character in a game.

Hey, TD, don't give 'em ideas!

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

When does this crap ever end? You know someone started that crap about the word "Avatar" and it spread like wildfire around the JW community, most of the story tellers taking the credit themselves for having discovered this spiritual salvation before its too late for the brothers and sisters! Its a Smurf story. Its a BEAUTIFUL movie...saw it twice. Was just taken in by the beauty of it. Must see it in 3D before Alice In Wonderland comes to the Imax (OH SHIT!!! ALICE IN WONDERLAND IS COMING!!! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN PROTECT THE CHILDREN!! TALKING RABBITS WHO TELL TIME!!! FLOATING CAT FACES! EVIL CARD QUEENS WHO WANT BEHEAD PEOPLE LIKE WHAT HAPPENED TO JOHN THE BAPTIST! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit