Elder uses Congregation Bible Study as an opportunity to ban the movie Avatar

by easyreader1970 40 Replies latest jw friends

• teel
    teel

Nice one Carla

They just cherry pick what they don't like and search for its "pagan" roots. Newsflash: almost every bit of our life comes from / has been used in some pagan ritual.

In fact I believe the basis for banning/allowing something is either the fun factor of said thing, or the possibility that it will make JWs more accepted into society (clinking glasses fall into this second category).

• Think About It
    Think About It

My favorite is the elder who's personal agenda is to harass those seeking or pursuing higher education.......until it is time for his children to go to college, then it is a personal decision.

Think About It

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It's all part of their control tactic and it appeals to the stoopid ones..what a bunch of F*CKIN idiots!!

• life is to short
    life is to short

I remember as a kid we were told we could not watch Bugs Bunny. It never ends.

• Frank75
    Frank75

he googled the (original) meaning

I thought Google and the Internet were Satan? Oh well.

Strange how they insist on running two sets of books, one agenda in private and the platform but in the publications a gentler version of their nonsense:

*** w96 9/1p.21par.8LivingbytheLawoftheChrist***

So all Christians should be careful not to add to the burdens of others by taking it upon themselves to impose their own ideas in matters of personal choice. At times, some write to the Watch Tower Society asking for rulings on such matters as what view they should have of specific films, books, and even toys. Yet, the Society is not authorized to scrutinize such things and to issue judgments on them. In most cases, these are matters that each individual or family head should decide, based on his love of Bible principles. Others tend to turn the Society’s suggestions and guidelines into rules.

I would say that there is much that the WT is not authorized to do....

But someone could share a quote like this with the friends and cast aspersions toward someone in the congregation promoting a contrary position....it will bring you trouble, but you can have fun with the reactions of the rank and file as they try to reconcile it.

Frank75

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"It's Smurfs all over again!" That could be the shout-out phrase to say whenever a JW starts in on AVATAR.

I liked Carla's comment on Nike shoes. Lordy, the sun was used in ancient and not-so-ancient pagan worship. Stay out of the sun. Avoid man's calendar as those days of the week are pagan-named.

I like that JW's go to such extremes. I hope they ban the internet and ask everyone to move to the compound so most of them will wake up and recognize "It's Jonestown all over again."

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

"It's Smurfs all over again!"

Yeah, that is so true!

Plus some other classics from my youth:

ET = Jesus Christ

Star Wars = too many "good versus evil" Jah vs Satan parallels

(Insert Name of Disney Film) = magic and (gasp!) talking animals!

Popeye and The Three Stooges = Violence

Titanic - Kate Winslet's Twin Girls

I wish someone would tell this guy and these people to GO SMURF THEMSELVES and SMURF OFF!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I think it's more appropriate to stay away from the watchtower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchtower_(magic)

In archaic Roman religion, small towers were built at the crossroads, and an altar was set before them upon which offerings were given to nature spirits. Guardian spirits known as Lares were associated with these towers and with demarcation in general, as well as seasonal themes related to agriculture [1] . Here we may find a connection between the Lares and the Grigori of Italian Witchcraft. These towers may be the foundation of the "Watchtowers" appearing in the ritual circles of Wiccans and other modern witches.
  • shamus100
    shamus100
    One woman said that her grandson was watching the cartoon Avatar and it was clearly demonized

Oh pahlease.

Witlesses are so utterly pathetic.

Sorry you had to sit through that shit.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I bet many in the cong were sitting uncomfortably and looking shifty, because most had probably seen it, the palaver our tit of a P/O made when Dirty Dancing came out was incredible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit