Elder uses Congregation Bible Study as an opportunity to ban the movie Avatar

by easyreader1970 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yet one more reason a JW should not use the Internet: Chat forums, even Facebook, use an "Avatar" image.

<--- That's My Avatar.

Same goes for video games. The character you play is your Avatar.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

A lot of Witnesses here saw the movie "Avatar" and liked it. We did have an overzealous brother give the same commet about avatar meaning Hindu gods in human form or some nonsense. I wasn't paying that much attention, I was too busy rolling my eyes. A pioneer sister noticed me and kind of gave me a smile, like, yeah, I know, it's over the top. And it is enough to send someone over the edge. Actually the conducter to his credit didn't say anything about the comment. But, they have to understand that this is a matter of conscience. And I want to tell them please do not treat those who do not agree with you on this as worthless sinners. I still want to see that movie, I just haven't had the opportunity yet.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nearly every elder in our congregation has seen it and recommended it to me!!!

• Crux
    Crux

Yeah but that guy possesses the alien body. Obviously demonic in nature. :P

Interestingly, my friends and I were never counciled about the star wars fan films we made and we've done several over the years.

• sinis
    sinis

Its all bullshit!!! They make these comments because either they themselves are broke dicks or would rather have the sheep give their money up to the WWW. If elder is not happy why should the cong sheep be??????????? misery loves company.... they might as well flog themselves every night in penance for sins with a whip...

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Thats funny - the same thing happened at my Cong Bible Study last night too!!....after about 5 minutes of how bad the movie is for R&F, the elder suddenly collapsed on stage in a heap. I heard one of the sound boys mention that somehow the connection between Brooklyn and the elder got lost.... 15 minutes later he was up and saying the same thing during the SM...then he collapsed again....

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

leper...God, its scary when you give an a--hole a microphone........too funny!

I remember at the Milwaukee Convention in '78 when the speaker announced that it had been reported that some witnesses had seen Saturday Night Fever....People at the convention were gasping in horror...I expected ones to start swooning.

• dig692
    dig692

I wonder if I'll hear anything about this on my bible study night. This is just ridiculous. Elder looks at google for definition of "avatar" as if it even matters what it means..it's a word for crying out loud...let's just ban using the days of the week and people's names while we're at it. And yet r&f witnesses should only look to WT library for reliable sources and should stay away from the internet. Ok, if that's the case, then it's a matter of CONSCIENCE and no one should inpose their opinions on anyone else. Then, some over zealous old fart comments that she thinks the cartoon Avatar is demonic..ok lady the movie and the cartoon have absolutely NOTHING in common. Stop trying to show off your allegiance to the society and maybe get your facts straight first. She probably made up the comment anyway.

Sorry to rant but every time this happens during the cong. bible study or the WT study it seriously makes me so angry that I just want to tune out everything that is said from that point on. I just can't stand how the conductor will open his mouth and say something stupid like "this thing relates to this pagan activity, so isn't it wise for us to stay away from such things" and then the old sister in the back corner blurts out the dumbest comment about what the conductor just said that she thinks is the best comment ever made yet it makes absolutely no sense and makes her look like a freaking idiot!

Ok, rant over. P.S. I haven't seen avatar yet but it's just a movie for crying out loud. Just...A...Movie!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    He said that he googled the (original) meaning of the word Avatar and it was of Hindu religious origin. This was all the information he needed to conclude that the movie was full of demonic spiritism

Yes well you can't be too careful . I once heard of a religious book that had these funny symbols on the cover and inside it was full of falsehoods and stuff about The Pyramid...

• poppers
    poppers

We did have an overzealous brother give the same commet about avatar meaning Hindu gods in human form or some nonsense.

That's the original meaning of the word - Krishna was an incarnation of the God Vishnu, as was Rama, making them Avatars. There were many others. When I first heard about the movie I knew that they'd get hold of that meaning and use it as an excuse to demonize the film.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit