Which book ,studied at the Book Study, you Hated or loved more????

by deep-blue-sea 45 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The Babylon the Great book was tough when I was a kid. Especially the Rev. 18:2 and 4 verses that took forever to cover.

Those must have made a big impression on me since I haven't looked at the book in 30 years.

Rub a Dub

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Oh my, so many I hated - while feeling guilty about hating them...

The Isaiah Books. Dull drone fest from begining to end. What is it this week? Is Israel destroyed or restored? Oooh the excitement! - Oh yeah, and it all means 1919 anyway.

The current one 'Keep yourself in Gods love - by obeying Leviticus'. Last hoorah of the old guard, I hope.

Any family book, hated hated hated. 5 paragraphs on women and children being submission and obedient and calling their husbands 'lord', 1 paragraph on why it might be nice if husbands love their wives. Also anything with 'marital due'. Blurgh.

Any creation book, although that was good for my critical thinking as I could tick off, strawman, circular reasoning, false dicotomy stc, sometimes within the same paragraph.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Oh, you also asked what ones we loved.

Hmm - I quite liked the mankinds search for god book, until it gets preachy at the end. Learing about other religions, even with a 'they're all wrong' slant was interesting.

The Bible, God's word or mans? was, I thought ,interesting - until I read some of Friedmans' works.

I liked the Revelation book the first 3 times. The fourth time, when I realised I didn't believe anymore, was absolute mental torture. I was surprised I didnt have blood running out of my ears after the fourth time. - Indeed I think I missed about half of the groups. - The same for the Daniel book, 1st 2 times was okay, 3rd time as a member of the concious class, was diabolical.

Zenobia - Quaeen of the South. O RLY???

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I think the Revelation Book, perhaps the second time we "studied" (hahaha) it, was the one where I started to wake up as it started to reveal my cognitive dissonance to me. Everything is figuratively applied to the early history of the cult in the United States, and to world politics of the early to mid 20th century, except when it's literal. And the literal parts are totally random, like all the numbers are figurative except for the seven trumpets and the 144,000, yeh that makes sense.

Does anyone recall when we studied the Revelation Book? I could probably pinpoint my awakening date from knowing when we "studied" that convoluted piece of trash.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hated:

Revelation Climax (mostly incomprehensible)

Isaiah's Prophecy Vols I and II (1919 fixation - barf - I was in my early awakening years)

Liked:

United In Worship (young and wide-eyed - liked the format)

Creator (not to be confused with the 'Creation' book)

The rest are a blur.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Does anyone recall when we studied the Revelation Book? I could probably pinpoint my awakening date from knowing when we "studied" that convoluted piece of trash.

1. April 1989 forwards

2. March 1991 "

3. October 1994 "

4. January 2007 "

(I always made a note in the margin. How anal is that? Don't answer.)

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

The main thing I enjoyed about the Book Study was the coffee and cake afterwards. (When I was lucky enough to be assigned to that kind of group.)

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Thanks Ann, then I came Awake! during the third time we studied it.

• dissed
    dissed

The 1000 years book from 1974.......

"Worst book EVER!!"

- dissed, the comic book guy from the Simpsons

Best = Greatest man - You couldn't fake studying it. You had to read and contemplate before hand or you were lost. As a conductor, it was my favorite, because you could get the group to think and have them give answers in their own words.

• dissed
    dissed

Further on worst book "1000 years"

The book study conductor didn't have a clue what he was reading when he read the questions. Many times, he would look for his wife to bail him out, and she didn't know what she was talking about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit