Any Good 1975 Stories?

by Think About It 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Great to bump this thread.

I remember a brother and his wife going into debt for over $100,000 and more thinking they would not have to pay it back, even buying new cars.

My MOST memorable item is this. I remember this one brother so sure the end was going to be in 75. He even pounded his cane on the floor of the KH to make his point. WEll, in 1975 HE DIED,. He was right 1975 was the end.

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

bump this thread.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I continue to be amazed how every man and his (or her) dog now claims to never have fallen for the 1975 Bull$h#t story - yet back in the day, I never recall anybody (not even one) express any doubts about this at all. Just like there is a collective case of amnesia at work somehow!

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Bungi Bill – I certainly can’t deny I fell for it. I was only 16 in 1969 when I swallowed this rubbish and quit school to pioneer. In 1970 I wanted contact lenses, and the optician told me that they will generally last for five years before they will need replacing. I made myself look stupid by telling her that that’s all the time I will need them for.

As the actual year approached however, I, along with most others in our congregation, were not so sure. It all hinged on the length of time from Adam’s creation to the end of the sixth day. We weren’t so sure it was only months, as Freddie claimed, so our certainty was nothing like it was five years earlier.
  • WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

I was a little kid standing at my moms side. She had only been a study at the time.

A pioneer sister was explaining to her that if she did not get baptized before 1975 that she and her kids would die.

My mom asked her about her kids, and she explained that if she was baptized gods love would cover over her kids.

Thus my life in the cult began in the winter of 1974

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

My Dad, talking to his fellow worker Paul. Paul asked him what he would do on New Years day, 1976, if armageddon had failed to arrive. My Dad stated: "Give us a year either way. If armageddon hasn't arrived by the end of 1976, I'll buy a pack of Woodbines and sit and smoke the lot with you".

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

My parents had the "Armageddon Clock" on the wall of the living room.

It was a wall clock where you could manually move the longer minute hand and the hour hand would just follow.

My father cut the power cord off. I'm not sure at exactly what year they started using it, but it was likely the late 1060's. Each 5 minute increment was a month, so 60 minutes was a year. My father moved it once a month.

For example, on October 1969, there would be 6 years left until October 1975, so the clock would be at 6PM. The next month he would move it to 6:05 PM, the next month to 6:10PM, etc. When it reached October 1970, then it was 7PM. When the clock finally reached mid-night (12PM), that would be October 1975.

Needless to say, it reached 1975 and nothing happened. He later threw the clock away and bought one that worked.

Rub a Dub

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

They deny, deny, deny the ever said anything about 1975, btw I graduated high school in 1975, that probably wasn't supposed to happen also.

May 1974 Kingdom Ministry - page 3 How Are you Using your Life? - mentions that some brothers were selling their homes, saying that pioneering is a fine way to spend the short time left

Awake Magazine, May 22, 1969 - says young people will never fulfill a career that this system offers. Where will this system be after four years

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Mental manipulation by exploiting human ignorance through the belief in the bible was the WTS game, they did this through lying and corruption intentionally endeavored to increase the WTS's own literature proliferation, it worked unfortunately.

That's the freedom of religion combined with open unregulated capitalism in America

• mrquik
    mrquik

I grew up in the society & left after high school in 1969 to party my ass off. As 1974 came around, my mother convinced me to change my ways or be destroyed in '75. Well, I did just that. Married a JW whom I figured I would learn to love in "Paradise" just a few months away. Never came, but was "just a little late." I stayed in that marriage for 34 years. I became an elder during that time. Eventually they got around to deleting me as my adult daughter lived with us & there was no way she was going to study. My best friends were elders, knew the CO was looking for my head & never said a word. I was told I could appeal to HQ. Screw that. My whole attitude of course changed. The wife was now heavily addicted to pain medication & was having paranoid episodes. It was time to leave. I found the love of my life, told the ex & the elders I was leaving her. Got disfellowshipped & even with all that was looking to stay in. As I was well known, one on the committee told me they wanted to be sure I was made an example of. That did it. I read C of C in 3 days. Checked into JWfacts & was out in a week. I've been out 12 years. Had spent about 50 years in. I personally want to thank Frank Mullie for being the elder to push me out. If it wasn't for you Frank, I might still be in. How's that "Armageddon's just around the corner" working for you...... List of those I know dead from waiting: ex wife (drug overdose), ex father- in -law ( born in 1898 actually knew Rutherford), Frank's wife & son, John & Marceil Caister, John DiSanto, Bill & Marge Whelpton (in-laws), Manny Pederson (ex wife's uncle. Performed our wedding ceremony) and lastly my mother.

Yeah I gotta say 1975 was a memorable year.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit