If we evolved why is the brain more than we need?

by cyberjesus 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

Chalam - great video- this is an example of savant. probaly not using any more of the brain than anyone else just making better use of parts of the brain, using it differently, usually due to compensation because of a damaged area.

It doesn't negate the fact the don't use all of our brain. Its like saying I have a Ferrari, but I never take it past 70MPH. It doesn't mean I only use 10% of the car, I just don't use it to the maximum. I use all the components, the gears the engine the controls etc. But, If however there was an emergency and I had to get a famly member to the hospital I might use it in a different way and drive as fast as I could because the circumstances are different.

The savants brain in effect, has a change of circumstance to the norm and that has helped him to use part his brain differntly. Everyone uses that part, it's not vestigal in me or you, we just don't use it in the same way as the savant.

• free2think
    free2think

cantleave, are you arguing for or against creation?

my head hurts

• cantleave
    cantleave

cantleave, are you arguing for or against creation?

Neither I'm arguing against the myth that we only use 10% of the brain.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Chalam,

Nice to see your vid, I watched that whole series years ago, while impressive it doesn't prove that we all use only 10% of our brains.

• wobble
    wobble

If anyone on here believes they only use 10% of their brain, I will come round to their gaff and personally remove 90% of their brain ,and then we'll see how they get along !

Love

Wobble

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Cyberjesus -

Which 90% of your brain would you be willing to have removed?

You might have a great new weight-loss method!

Why exercise to lose fat when you can easily have 90% of your useless brain removed and lose 2½ lbs!

We can call it the NO-BRAINer Method of Weight Control!

The fact is that the only people who are using only 10% of their brain are the ones who believe that we use only 10% of our brain.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:But the human brain is far superior than our needs. We dont use not even a 10% of its capability,

That myth has been repeated so long and so often that people take it as fact. I know. I repeated it myself for years, until I finally did some research on it.

In all fairness to that myth though, there are people who do use less than 10% of their brains. They are known as Jehovah's Christian Witnesses.

Farkel

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

But the human brain is far superior than our needs. We dont use not even a 10% of its capability

Sauce, pleez.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

cyberjesus,

When you say you no longer believe in "Creation" are you talking about the Bible's version, the JW version, fundamentalist nujob Christian version, or what?

Or are you saying you do not believe that there was a First Cause and that the material universe and everything in it is just a result of random chance?

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I don't think the brain is more than we need.

I think that we don't know how to fully take advantage of it.

As far as we can tell the brain has an infinite capacity.

If we knew how to do it we could learn in a way that we could stress the brain's capacity.

I think there is evidence that the ancients had this capability.

The great polymaths of history, people like Da Vinci, Hidegard of Bingen, Leon Battista Alberti, Thomas Young, et al were they born that way or did they learn how to be polymathic?

Baldassare Castiglione wrote a guide on how to become a polymath, The Book of the Courtier.

I helped develop a methodology for problem solving based on knowlege theory and we came to the conclusion that anyone can achieve Masters level competency in pretty much any topic if they know how to do it in about 3 months.

So, perhaps the issue isn't that we have capacity that we don't need, but rather we have capacity that humans have forgotten how to take advantage of and put to use?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit