NEW GENERATION DEFINED -- April 15, 2010 Watchtower

by Ultimate Reality 385 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Alltime Jeff says:

The 2 recent points here I think are telling. We are

1. Talking about the source material as if it were reliable, which an honest person cannot say is so.
    2. We are talking about the authority structure of any religion/group/cult to interpret these flawed documents. An authority that is based on documents of questionable (that is being charitable) history and the interpretation results in the control of billions of people.

It is entirely mystic.

The best value that can be assigned certain books of the bible are ones with a pragmatic slant on the insight of the human condition. Anything else is superstitous mumbo jumbo.

So true, ATJ, so true....

Many (if not most) of us who have been out-of-the-Borg long enough realize the insubstantiality of Scripture as a true document in the actual words of Deity.

But--how do you explain the willingness (almost lemming like) to endlessly argue interpretations of JW doctrine and the parsing of the defintions of wording?

We don't know the actual words so we cannot parse them!!

From an intellectual-exercise standpoint in may be a way to stimulate the cranial regions instead of Sudoku.......but, otherwise......?

Tis a puzzle, like the sound of one hand clapping

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You know Terry, you are not a JW any more and this is not the WT.

Its OK NOT to take the bible as literal, amny od us don't.

If you only wanna view it as a history of religiosu views of a select group of people, that's ok too.

Or if you just wanna view it as fiction, I don't think you'll be getting hit by a lighting bolt any time soon.

• Terry
    Terry

Or if you just wanna view it as fiction, I don't think you'll be getting hit by a lighting bolt any time soon.

Now worries, mate!

I look around at the discussion here on JWnet and feel like the guy who drives past a lady trying to change her tire. It is tough to stifle the urge not to lend a hand. You risk offending, of course. But, the urge is there to offer a helping hand.

The wording of the bible is where ALL THE PROBLEMS begin and in.

I just feel like telling everybody once or twice a day to stop and thinking about that one fact.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Now. Now. Let's leave some room open for discernment ...

Does it not warm your heart?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

TERRY,

Thank you for helping in changing my tires. Your posts and reasonings and questions are ALWAYS appreciated by this old lady :-)

• sacolton
    sacolton

It isn't about proper interpretation.

It is about cleaning a "spot" off a nice white carpet.

The spot won't go away!

You can't cut the spot out; you ruin the carpet.

You can't cover it with furniture; it is in the middle of the damned living room!

What do you do? It is as embarassing as hell.

Coffee table? Area rug?

• moshe
    moshe

Did you ever see a right-handed boxer fight against a left-handed boxer? NO- a right handed boxer only knows how to fight against another right-handed boxer. What I am getting ready to say is the training JW's have had over the years is based upon the inerrancy of the Bible and against the evils of big-bad Christendom. The JW's only know what they know, nothing more. I know it's cruel to blindside them with that topic of Biblical inerrancy, but if you are successful, it does kill all the WT birds with one stone.

Here is a copy of a debate between Norman Geisler (Christian apologist, philosopher and seminary president) and Ferrel Till (a skeptic) and if you take the time to read it in it's entirety, I believe it will be an eye opener for some of you. Many, or perhaps you could even say most people (and I was one of them for many,many years) have confused the accurracy of a Bible translation using the oldest manuscripts with Biblical inerrancy.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/farrell_till/geisler-till/

• The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

Can't resist ....

Opening song for the April 15, 2010 Watchtower lesson on "This Generation" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594WLzzb3JI&feature=related

Sing it with me now!"Talkin 'bout my generation ...my generation!!!(or maybe your generation, or the one after) ...."

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

"Just as Jesus’ prophecies regarding Jerusalem were fulfilled within the life span of the generation of the year 33 C.E., so his prophecies regarding "the time of the end" will be fulfilled within the life span of the generation of 1914. (Daniel 12:4) This means that marvelous prospects lie before not only that generation but all those living today. Why? Because Jesus also said regarding the significant events affecting that generation: "When you see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near."—Luke 21:28, 31."

WT 5/15/1984 Page 7

Either that statement in the Watchtower is True or it is not. If it is not true then it never was true. If it is and therefore was true then the new "understanding" is not true so when you have two contradicting points of view from the same source one of them is false and when you claim to be the only channel from God either he told you a lie or you are not the channel you think you are. You can't have it both ways no matter how badly you want to.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

4 different definitions within 15 years is a bit much even for the the rank and file, who are used to "flashes of light".

Pre 95:--generation is 80 years

After 95:--indefinite, unknown length; they actually said that this makes the end even more urgent!

2008:--the generation is now not a time period, but applies to a group of people, the remnant; as long as the remnant are on earth, the generation has not passed away. This seemed to be the gold for them, killed 2 birds with 1 stone: covered the increase of the partakers, and the question of what the hell the generation meant.

2010:--now they say that the generations overlap, in complete contradiction to every concept of generation known, even their own. The word LOSES all meaning when applied this way. The are saying that the time period covered by the generation could cover many generations, or at least they will someday.

It's all hilarious anyway; even within the contested framework of the gospels, the term "this generation" is fairy straightforward: Jesus is talking about his contemporaries, else what was the point of his sharp rebukes? Or, if one of the groups of the Jesus movement retrojected their politics onto Jesus, they were rebuking those who were rejecting them.Trying to make what he said then fit some future event gives us the endless debates now, including this latest carp like flip flop from the "faithful and discreet slave" class.

P

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit