If the Watchtower truly collapsed, how would you deal with your JW relatives?

by nicolaou 58 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Imagine the best case scenario. The Watchtower Society implodes from within even making final printed admissions that it is voluntarily dismantling it's mission and legally dissolving the corporations. Oh happy day!

So.

How about those loyal JW family members that had been shunning you for years?

• nelly136
    nelly136

they're not my problem :)

• cantleave
    cantleave

I would let them come to terms with it on their own. The only time I would get involved would be if they strated gravitating towards another cult.

• wobble
    wobble

"Na na na NaNa "

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

Laugh in their face and yell "I TOLD YOU SO!!! You said I was stupid for believing in evolution, that I was going to die, I was giving up living with my family forever in a paradise, that I had it all figured out, that you have the truth, that you're not a cult, I'm being blinded by Satan, you constantly called me an atheist and apostate and in a negative tone of voice like that's something to be ashamed of. Well, where's your precious Watchtower that you've wasted over 30 years of your life following, SUCKERS?!!!"

Well, I'd like to say that anyway. I'd probably try to help them realize they were in a cult and lied to for a very long time.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I would feel sorry for my mother, laugh at my ex wife and hope for some serious apologies from shunners...

Oz

• carpediem
    carpediem

I would be loving and kind and welcome them to MY world. Let them see by my reaction that they were lied to all along.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Good question. Let's start with extended family.

My uncle on my dad's side is a paranoid schizophrenic. He'd probably lose whatever marbles he's got left, poor man. The WT is his whole world.

I don't imagine that my mom's family would be any better. My grandparents would be hit really hard. I imagine my aunt would probably skip out somewhere and not come back.

And as far as immediate family is concerned, I think my sister would fare the best. She's in, but is back to her old ways of not really caring about the rules to follow them completely. She'd land on her feet, eventually. My folks would be a different track. They've got depression and other health issues, and they'd certainly need more care.

I think the WT's crumbling would leave nearly all the members of my family in complete shock. I really don't know what I could do to help them, given that most of them have invested everything in the cult.

• wobble
    wobble

This thread is timely, I believe the crumbling has started, may it proceed more quickly !

Love
    Wobble

• nugget
    nugget

I think some would be relieved as they want out anyway but don't know how to leave without reprecussions. Those that are died in the wool cultists would go into panic mode. They would find a way to justify it all. These are the ones who would still cling to elements of the religon even with it gone probably seeing it all as a test from Satan.

I know many nice people in the org I would suggest counselling and tell them I'm waiting for them on the outside.

Just remember folks it might so easily have been one of us if we hadn't woken up already.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit