I Don't Sympathise With Suicides

by Englishman 83 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Radar,

I did indeed read your story, admittedly after I had made my last post, and I know where you are coming from. I do, too, and I will email or phone you if you wish. I don't rate either of us as fakers. However, my point in all this hullaballoo was never to deny the genuinely needy ones from help, I sought to shame the fakers, the attention seekers who make threats and later carry on as though nothing had happened.

Let me expand on this a little, uncomfortable though it may be, and yes, it does press buttons that we don't like. Suppose that someone, for whatever reason, has an axe to grind with a former lover. Seeking to get some retribution, how often does it happen that the rejected one will accuse the former lover of an act of molestation, maybe even rape?

It happens to a lot of innocent people! But, and this is my point, is it not so that a false cry of rape eventually demeans the real victims, the real sufferers, whilst the attention-seeking "victim" plays the Prima Donna and luxuriates in all the attention?

So it is with suicide threats. Why should histrionic fakers detract from the genuine sufferers who really need help? I keep repeating, despite all the accusations of being cold, hard, unfeeling etc that we must test the level of intention by approaching the person with a practical and no-nonesense attitude, if we are to guage the genuineness of the persons problem.

Listen everyone, I know that there are real sufferers out there who need helping. Please don't label me as an arsehole because I am suspicious of persons who prey on your good intentions.

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• termite 35
    termite 35

refiners fire;thankyou x

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Englishman...thank your for clarifying your position. In light of the many things you have wrote before that showed outstanding examples of human kindness, I can understand better where you are coming from. Yes there are many fakers out there who would exploit us, and of course we need being victimized like we need an extra hole in our heads.

I guess why this thread got me so pissed off is that a suicide of someone I knew, cost me dearly. He was a young man who just turned 17 and was depressed with not having any real future. He only told his older sister he was going to kill himself, and she told him jokingly there is a shotgun upstairs. A day later, he took the shotgun and blew his head off. She really didn't understand his mental state of mind to realize that he was serious. She thought he just wanted attention...well he did. This destroyed a whole family, and I was part of it. I know that his pattern doesn't match the typical attention cycle and that is what worries me that someday one of us will make that same mistake. I'm just not qualified to know if someone is for real or not and I always refer them to a suicide hot line or a therapist.

Sorry about comparing you with one of the old bastards running the Borg...I was just totally pissed by the way the thread appeared to be going.

Skipper

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

EMan,

You got alot of wisdom in that last post, this is a subject that plays on peoples emotions and quite naturally when emotions get involved common sense gets so easily lost.

Calm heads are needed at times like this. Thanks!

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit