I Don't Sympathise With Suicides

by Englishman 83 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Are these Samaritans then going to send the lad a letter telling him that they think he was faking? And publish that letter on the local bulletin board? Let the whole neighbourhood know?
    Are they going to send him a list of the gags that they cracked while discussing his plight? Posting them on the local bulletin board also?
    Question.
    What does Kevin think about this thread?
    How does he FEEL about himself now?
    What does he think everybody else thinks about him?

It would be better if this thread had never been posted. It is insensitive.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    It would be better if this thread had never been posted. It is insensitive

Oh no it isn't. Listen Pal, I know all about REAL suicides, the Samaritans also only talk about what's REAL. So next time someone talk about killing themselves, ask them about the mechanics of the act. Bringing someone to reality is the real kindness here.

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• radar
    radar

Englishman

Seven principles of Samiritans

The primary aim of The Samaritans is to be available at any hour of the day or night to befriend those passing through personal crises and in imminent danger of taking their own lives.
    The Samaritans also seek to alleviate human misery, loneliness, despair and depression by listening to and befriending those who feel that they have no one else to turn to who would understand and accept them.
    A 'caller' (someone who contacts The Samaritans by telephone, textphone, e-mail, letter, or visiting a Branch) does not lose the freedom to make their own decisions, including the decision to take their own life, and is free to break contact at any time.
    The fact that a person has asked the help of The Samaritans, together with everything they have said, is completely confidential within the organisation, unless permission is freely given by the caller for all or a part of such information to be communicated to someone outside the organisation. A Samaritan volunteer is not permitted to accept confidences if a condition is made that not even the Director of the Branch should be informed.
    Samaritan volunteers in befriending callers will be guided and actively supported by experienced 'leaders' who will have the advice, when required, of professional consultants.
    In appropriate cases a caller will also be invited to consider seeking professional help in such fields as medicine and social work, and material help from other agencies.
    Samaritan volunteers are forbidden to impose their own convictions or to influence callers in regard to politics, philosophy or religion.

Seven Practices

Samaritan volunteers are carefully selected and prepared by the local Branch in which they are to serve.
    The Samaritans are available at all hours to callers, and may be contacted (anonymously if desired) by telephone, textphone, e-mail, letter or visit to a Branch..
    When a caller is believed to be in danger of suicidal action, the Samaritan is particularly encouraged to ask the caller's permission for contact to be maintained during the crisis.
    Samaritans offer longer-term befriending of callers where appropriate, while recognising that the Branch may from time to time have to set limits.
    Samaritans listen to those concerned about the welfare of another person, and, if satisfied that the third person is despairing, depressed or suicidal, may discreetly offer befriending.
    Samaritans are normally known to callers only by a forename and contacts by callers are made only through the Branch centre.
    Samaritan Branches are banded together in legally constituted Association whose Council of Management represents all the Branches and reserves to itself the appointment of the person in charge of each Branch.

Radar

• Englishman
    Englishman
    'leaders' who will have the advice, when required, of professional consultants.

That's right, they don't just offer advice willy-nilly. Nor should we.

Englishman.

• radar
    radar

Englishman

So you agree, your advice was not needed?

Radar

• Englishman
    Englishman

Nope!

I didn't give advice. I said that I don't give sympathy to suicides, try reading the title of the post Radar, it's on page 1.

Englishman.

• radar
    radar

Englishman

Looks like it to me quote:......" So when someone enters a chat room and says that they are going to top themself, and then appears next day and robustly denounces those who doubted their sincerity - and posts remarkably lucidly too - I have very strong doubts as to that person needing all that cyber-loving.

IMO, this is mega attention seeking. If a person tells me quite clearly that he is going to do it I'll tell him to do it.

Radar

• patio34
    patio34

E-man,

IMO, you are so clearly way off base and plain wrong. Give up. You appear heartless and callous, and I know from previous posts/threads that you seem to be neither. Your position is indefensible and you have garnered UncleJimbo for your compadre in this. That speaks volumes.

Pat

• Englishman
    Englishman

Radar,

Well just maybe you have not had to cope with a REAL suicide like I have and then had to put up with other hysterical people who are pretending that they are going to do it. There is one hell of a difference here. I've seen it from both ends of the spectrum, and Kevin DID post most robustly and seem fully recovered within 24 hours.

Patio, you cannot blame me for what Uncle Jimbo writes, I did not garner him, he attached himself to my posts for his own ends, which I do not agree with. I do not ever give credence to the hysterical, I have seen much emotional blackmail in my life and recoil from it.

I will grant you that that my tendency to recoil may one day have blinded me to a real life threatening situation, so I will bear in mind much of what has been said here. Who knows, maybe this thread may result in some ceasing to use suicide as a threat so that the really emotionally damaged ones who are intent on genuinely taking their own life can be given the help that they need.

Englishman.

• radar
    radar

Englishman

You have obviously not read my story I posted recently.

Radar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit