What Are You Reading?

by zoiks 161 Replies latest jw friends

• unshackled
    unshackled

Good bump, sooner. A sophisticated and cultured man zoiks is...from Red Fang to Angela Lansbury.

Agreed on Cormac McCarthy...genius. The Road is one of my favorites and No Country was great too. Yet to read Blood Meridian, but it's up next.

• talesin
    talesin

I just ordered Outer Dark from the library ... sounds good.

now reading

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Jerk by Tony DuShane

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

.... starting a King novel next ... 11/22/63

t

• Quendi
    Quendi

I am taking my time and doing a slow read of a children's classic: The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss. The only connection I've had with the story before was the Walt Disney movie which I enjoyed but which the book so far only resembles in the title, and Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island. What is interesting about the latter title is that Verne sneered at the Robinsons in his book, but I've noticed that he wasn't above borrowing considerably from it for his own very good novel. But it all goes back to what one professor of literature said about the considerable "cross-pollination" that goes on in all literature.

Quendi

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm reading Quantitative Chemical Analysis.

I won't spoil it for the rest of you by giving away the ending.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

'Twinkie, Deconstructed' by Steve Ettlinger. I just finished reading 'Don't Eat This Book: Fast Food and the Supersizing of America' by Morgan Spurlock. Both books are eye openers about whats really in processed foods.

• talesin
    talesin

Quendi -- I am on a 'children's book' journey myself. The Pullman novel is the 2nd in a series, and I just finished the Narnia Chronicles. Interesting ties to religious thought in both. :))

mrjones -- I bet those books were eye-opening ; have you seen Spurlock's movie about Mickey Dees?

t

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah, I watched it last week on YouTube. I've stopped drinking sodas weeks ago and I have no desire to go to MickeyD's. Another movie related but on the real food tip is 'Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead'. Saw that a couple of weeks ago (it's available on Netflix). Really inspiring.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Finally reading the classic the adventures of Huckelberry Finn.

• talesin
    talesin

Food Inc. is another good one ....

tt2c -- yay, Huck Finn is a great book - enjoy! :D

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

50 Shades of Grey

50 Shades Darker

50 Shades Freed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest