Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

by believingxjw 89 Replies latest jw friends

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Hi John,

Call me stupid. I've been called worse, lol.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I'm an atheist and so I can speak from personal experience:

I celebrate Christmas and I believe the Christ Story is a bunch of bull shit and I don't give a fuck what any small minded dumb ass thinks is hypocritical about my doing so. Shit if that bothers him or hers moral sensibilities they can just kiss my ass.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Frankie,

"I don't give a fuck what any small minded dumb ass thinks is hypocritical about my doing so. Shit if that bothers him or hers moral sensibilities they can just kiss my ass."

I'm sure many a JW feels exactly the same, Frankie. They don't "give a fuck what any small minded dumb ass thinks" on this board.

I'm fine with that, Frankie. I don't give a fuck what JWs or exJWs have to say.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Why not? It's a convenient time to celebrate tradition and family and for an atheist it's just another word. An atheist can respect the season for others while joining in on traditional celebrations - a whole heck of a lot of people do the whole Christmas thing without ever once setting foot inside a church, without praying, without touching a bible or fully understanding the origins of any part of the holiday. They do it because ma did it and grandma did it and it's a good time for the family to get together and have some fun - show some appreciation for one another with a gift.

Nothing wrong with anyone celebrating the season ...sammieswife.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

You see as an atheist I can do pretty much as I dam well please when it comes to celebrating any religious or nonreligious holiday. It's really quite nice not having to worry about some jealous bible deity getting his feelings hurt and punishing you for worshipping other gods or engaging in some pagan practice.

As an atheist I can salute the flag, offer a pinch of incense to Caesar, bow to the Sun god if such is an issue in the land where I live and it will save my life. I can even do all sorts of things that a believer in jealous, devotion hungry Deity can't because he's worried about causing offence to this egotistical vengeful Deity which makes a claim on the believer's thoughts so much so,, that it causes an insane thought pattern to play over and over in his head based on worry over causing offence to the record keeping vengeful Deity.

I love not believing in some imaginary Deity who is only too ready to punish those who don't worship him acceptably. And if I ever do bow down to this Deity it is so he can kiss my ass.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Frankie, I have less than nill respect for you.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While I exchange gifts with family during the December season, it is only because that is traditionally the time to do so.

Even though I don't do the rest of the celebrating, I can answer generally for the atheists.

Putting up lights or trees or sparkly things or reindeer or fake Santa Claus statues and the like is not connected to the birth of Jesus. Giving gifts to each other is not connected to the birth of Jesus. Christmas to most of the world is not connected to the birth of Jesus. So who cares what the pagans and atheists are doing to celebrate "Christmas."

If you want to observe "the birth of Jesus" in some way that seems appropriate to you, or if you wish not to do so because any observance seems pagan or otherwise inappropriate, then more power to you.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

JD,

So? big deal. What you think tht's important to me?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    JD,
    So? big deal. What you think tht's important to me?

I think the only thing importantant to you is your own carnal desires and "getting one over" on everyone else. You're not worth the air you breathe.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Can I just say I have read all of the posts on this subject - interesting stuff - but - "frankiespeakin" - you have not came across well.

Its ok being an atheist - I have no problem with that.

Personally I believe in a God but I respect people who don't - each to there own and all that.

Try and meet people in the middle man.

The scotsman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit