Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

by believingxjw 89 Replies latest jw friends

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Do atheists celebrate Christmas, the celebration of Christ's birth?

If so, why?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

We do it because it's fun.We drop the stuff that sucks and keep doing the fun stuff.

Merry Christmas!

• startingover
    startingover

This one doesn't. I have no more need to celebrate Christmas than I do Hannakuh.

• dgp
    dgp

I would first define the word "atheist", not because we don't know what it means, but to better make my point. I think we will all agree that "atheist" means "he or she who doesn't believe there is a God, or Gods". So, a Moslem, for example, or a Hindu, are not atheists, and they won't celebrate Christmas because they don't believe in Jesus as God.

Atheists like me do celebrate Christmas, but as a social holiday. Or, as an occasion to reconnect to friends and family. Though you might not believe in Jesus being your savior, or Buddha being in the Nirvana, you do believe in loving thy neighbor. You do believe in making a better world. You do believe in being kind to people. And, beyond that, atheists living in Christian countries grew up surrounded by the faith, and were probably raised in a faith, so they can but adopt the customs of the lands where they live.

• leavingwt
  • VoidEater
    VoidEater

Christmas, like life, is what you make of it.

Fundy activists piss and moan that the rest of the world is ignoring their "special day" and not giving Christ his just props.

The rest of the world just enjoys what Christmas has come to mean for family and good tidings.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Leaving,

So, who is more deluded the man who believes and celebrates or the man who does not believe but celebrates the birth of God's Son anyway...a God he does not believe in?

Which man has more integrity? Which man lives according to his belief and conscience? To celebrate tells your neighbors you believe. If you don't believe why not tell the world by not celebrating? Or is that too hard to do?

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Startingover,

You have my respect. It may not mean much but for what it's worth I respect people who stand up for what they believe!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

believingxjw,

Not sure what to tell you.

For me, it's about Liberty. I enjoy giving and receiving gifts. I love the Christmas traditions/parties/lights/festivities.

I do the things that I want to do.

-LWT

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Leaving,

This whole board is about JWs and their lack of integrity and honesty. It's about the GB saying one thing and doing another. But when it comes right down to it are you saying that for you to do something that feels good though you don't believe it's okay but for JWs to do the same is not?

It's okay for you to celebrate the birth of God's Son just because it's fun though you don't believe but for JWs who do believe and so do what they think is the right thing, well now, that's not right!

Do you see how this makes little sense?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit