Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

by believingxjw 89 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Do atheists celebrate Christmas, the celebration of Christ's birth?

You begin with a patently false assumption. The winter solstice is a celebration of a sun god and long predates christianity. Christ was and is just a political afterthought.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    This whole board is about JWs and their lack of integrity and honesty. It's about the GB saying one thing and doing another. But when it comes right down to it are you saying that for you to do something that feels good though you don't believe it's okay but for JWs to do the same is not?
    It's okay for you to celebrate the birth of God's Son just because it's fun though you don't believe but for JWs who do believe and so do what they think is the right thing, well now, that's not right!
    Do you see how this makes little sense?

You're now using a strawman. Think real hard and I'll bet you can tell me how.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

John,

I deal with the present. In the present, Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth. Winter solstice is not celebrated today by most Christians, the birth of Christ is.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think most Atheists may celebrate to some certain extent, particularly if they have children under their wing.

It may be just a holiday to enjoy the days off of work and responsibilities.

When your an atheist you don't have to be involved with any religious celebration, its an individual choice.

To myself its dinners at restaurants and visits to friends and family members ( Who say its not really a Christmas get together )

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

John,

"Think real hard and I'll bet you can tell me how."

Please, be blunt here. I can take it.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    John,
    I deal with the present. In the present, Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth. Winter solstice is not celebrated today by most Christians, the birth of Christ is.

Since when are atheists christians?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Please, be blunt here. I can take it.

Why should I do all the work for you? I want to see a sliver of evidence of thought.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Do you see how this makes little sense?

If you're calling me a hypocrite, I think that's unfair. Naturally, I wouldn't agree.

Christmas is a Federal holiday and it is also a tradition that is celebrated by many non-Christians.

-LWT

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Thetrueone,

I'm just wondering how we can call the JWs and other Chrisitians on their lack of integrity but then turn around and just because it feels good join in a celebration we don't even believe in?

Isn't this hypocritical? If I say I don't believe in God why not declare it openly and refuse to join in a celebration I don't really believe in? If I join in, how then do I have a right to criticize others who do what they believe is right for them?

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

John,

"Why should I do all the work for you? I want to see a sliver of evidence of thought."

Lol, I hear you loud and clear!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit