Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

by believingxjw 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I'm a atheist and I do celebrate Christmas. The Irony of it is that even if I do not believe in god or that is son was born on the 25 of December I still celebrate, some christian might find this to be hypocritical so be it but the real irony is that Jesus was not born on the 25 (even if you believe he is the son of god or not the fact does not change) so every christian who celebrates Christmas is celebrating the winter solstice in reality, Christmas is mix with full "pagan" rituals.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Anti-Christ,

I celebrate Christmas and I could care less about all the arguments about the imaginary son of god's birthday, winter solstice, roman pagan origins ad nauseum.

It is a happy, fun celebration during an otherwise gloomy winter.

Does ANYONE really want to be turned and twisted into a doctrinal preztel over this? I don't know anyone who does.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think the whole reason for the thread being started was to make the point that atheist were hypocrites if they didn't believe but still celebrated.

My intention was in effect to say take your limited narrow minded view point about what is a hypocrite and shove it where the sun don't shine, we atheist are not under any such restrictions. And besides we don't fear the deity and so we can be way more practical than the believer who always must be careful to appease the jealous Jehovah who gets all bent out of shape over trifles.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    I celebrate Christmas and I could care less about all the arguments about the imaginary son of god's birthday, winter solstice, roman pagan origins ad nauseum.
    It is a happy, fun celebration during an otherwise gloomy winter.
    Does ANYONE really want to be turned and twisted into a doctrinal preztel over this? I don't know anyone who does.

I agree it just seemed that the person who started this tread was trying to make a point that atheist who celebrate christmas are hypocritical all I was trying to say is that christmas is no more about the son of god then halloween, an other "pagan" holiday that I enjoy. So what's the difference between an atheist who celebrates and a Christians?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Anti-christ,

Gotta love that name.

Yeah I see where you were coming from. I think some people think that because you don't believe in or worship the Biblical Deity then you have no business in celebrating his son's birthday and they conveniently forget that the celebration is borrowed from the Biblical Deities enemies the Pagans.

I think you make a very valid point and if a person wants to charge us with hypocrisy they should consider the pagan origins before they go around trying to pin hypocrisy, delusionalism, and lack of integrity on us.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Frankie, I have less than nill respect for you.

What's offensive about Frankie's post on a thread where atheists celebrating christmas are attacked?

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman
    I suppose your right, but god dammit it's so hard to do when I haven't been in the position of belief in the Deity for so long I forget that people really get offended over slights in their imaginary friend. Anyway I do it in jest I hope you understand.

I appreciate their was a lot of jest in what you said - no problem.

imaginary friend

Now cut out the jokes!!!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Scots,

LOL,, Is that a style of Scotish humor?

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

I've read all the comments so far and this is my take on it;

I celebrate Christmas as the day Christ was born because I am a Christian. I have friends who no longer believe in God or religion and they enjoy celebrating this holiday in a strictly secular way. Personally I have no problem with either.

I do not believe someone who is an athiest is a hypocrite if they decide to celebrate Christmas in the strictly secular sense. Nor do I think Christians should be judging them either.

The Apostle Paul tells Christians that some people attach more meaning to certain days then others and that each person must decide what meaning THEY will give the day. So if someone observes the holiday as a secular day with or without Santa Clause and they use the day to spend time with family and friends, that is great for them. And if we Christians decide to worship Christ on this day, go to church, spend time with family and friends, that is great for us.

However you celebrate or observe this day, enjoy it! Peace, Lilly

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Anti-christ,
    Gotta love that name.
    Yeah I see where you were coming from. I think some people think that because you don't believe in or worship the Biblical Deity then you have no business in celebrating his son's birthday and they conveniently forget that the celebration is borrowed from the Biblical Deities enemies the Pagans.
    I think you make a very valid point and if a person wants to charge us with hypocrisy they should consider the pagan origins before they go around trying to pin hypocrisy, delusionalism, and lack of integrity on us.

Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit