Since Leaving The "Truth" Is Your Life Better?

by minimus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• iMARX
    iMARX

I agree with Cantleave - life now is easier without having to feel guilty all the time. And also to have to explain yourself to people. Random questions like what are you doing for your birthday? Come out with us Friday night! Where do you go on Thursday evenings? Why do you leave school assembly when we sing a song?

It's so nice to know that you're whole life isn't being constantly scrutinised by other "imperfect people"

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT :D

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I copied this from the rough draft of a personal statement I wrote; you tell me how I sound. :)

made the decision to break with my church. This decision led to my rebirth as a person, but it carried extreme consequences. I am now viewed as an apostate by people whom I counted as dear friends, and since my former religion aggressively practices shunning, those friends refuse even to acknowledge me when we meet by chance in local stores. However, I do not regret my decision, and I learned an incredibly valuable life lesson: regardless of the consequences, o ne should never reject an opportunity to examine and modify—or even discard—one’s deeply-held, personal beliefs.

I eagerly pursued my new life and the freedom to achieve academically by enrolling at the University of ******** with the long-term goal of attending law school. Eventually, I took a full class load in addition to working full-time. Such a demanding schedule requires impeccable time management skills, focus and determination. My interest in religion motivated me to explore beyond Christianity. After a class on Islam, I joined the Muslim Student Association. Freely associating and exchanging ideas with individuals from a variety of ages, religions, socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and ethnicities is one of my greatest academic delights. Freed from my own religious blinders, it is so refreshing to view people as incredibly promising rather than worthy of destruction. ***transitional sentence.

• Opus92
    Opus92

Dear gods, yes! Leaving that religion was an integral step towards becoming the healthy, happy person I am now.

• jamiebowers
  • Mary
    Mary

Life is better in the sense that I don't have to worry about studying for all the meetings, or going out knocking on doors every waking moment now. And I'm free to share my feelings and thoughts with others without worrying about them looking at me like I'm an 'apostate'. I also have the freedom (and time) to pursue a higher education----something I should have done a long time ago, but didn't for obvious reasons.

While this last year has been the Year From Hell for me, I'm so glad I'm not in the 'Troof' any more, it's not even funny. I know that some actually feel that they were happier when they were in, as it gave them something to shoot for, but there's no way on earth I could ever go back to that crap now.

• geevee
    geevee

Way better.... If I want to waste my own free time, that is one thing, but when it is done for me, for what is in the end no good reason, then it is another thing completely.

Even if it were "the truth" I wouldn't want it.... Like someone said to my wife recently: "Once you've had black.... you'll never go back!" [I think they were talking about coffee!!!!!!]

• Marni Mai
    Marni Mai

Well, I'm still dealing with fanatical JW family, who thankfully live a long way away in another state. And my husband is still in which is limiting my ability to have a rad tree this xmas and start actually trying to celebrate stuff.

But, I do feel so much better about myself. I don't have to worry about going to the meetings and witnessing which I hated. I can watch whatever the hell I want on TV and not feel like I should be watching my back and worrying about being caught.

I don't have the urge to drink myself stupid to get away from it all. I am making friends at work and being a lot nicer to strangers!

I am looking forward to my overseas holiday in January and not worried about being found out for doing anything 'bad'. I am also looking forward to getting some ink next year, which is a big thing for me, I LOVE tattoos.

So yes, my life is better and is also continuing to get better. I haven't gone back to any vomit. lol

• chickpea
    chickpea

immensely and immeasurably so much better....

i have many goals and opportunities, but the one
    goal i take most seriously is to promote normalcy
    for my poor babies who had their childhoods ruined
    by my idiotic allegience to a cult....

• zoiks
    zoiks

I would love to be able to fully address this question as a bona fide "former JW". As it stands right now, I'll have
    to get back to you later. Maybe in 6 months or a year.
    Edit: this new monster avatar goes a long way toward making things better! Wow is it funny... Almost as good as a
    Flying Spaghetti Monster!

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

100% better

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit