February 2010 Study Watchtower - Millions Now Living 'May' Never Die

by Marni Mai 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is just more proof that the witlesses do not have the truth. It was "will", not "may"--and the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger forgot to edit out the "will" on the original picture to "may".

I hope people see that, at least those who are new in the cancer, and decide they will not tolerate any discrepancy like this. And especially when they will not get a straight answer.

• Quandry
    Quandry

possible-san,

You said:

"millions now living will never die.
    Do you believe it?
    Do you believe that the King of glory is present, and has been since 1874?...
    Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom."

(The Watchtower, November 1, 1922)

Could someone get a scan of this page in the Watchtower? I don't know how to do it, but would love to see it. Very interesting.....

• possible-san
    possible-san

Quandry.

I said,

http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/pages/jw/adv.html
    (If you click that thumbnail, you can see a big picture.)

Probably, you can also see the picture (JPEG) of that Watchtower.

Well, I do not know how to paste a picture here.
    (I cannot paste the picture of my website here.)
    Sorry.

possible

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

this is not the first time they changed the wording.

They have changed the wording when transferred from the mags to bound volume.

good catch.

and thanks for posting.

purps

• peacedog
    peacedog

I stumbled upon this a while ago and did some research. Open mind is correct; the talk was originally titled "Millions Now Living May Never Die" and was subsequently changed to "Millions Now Living Will Never Die".

The WT$ frequently references the less incriminating title in current era literature.

peace

• Quandry
    Quandry

Thank you, possible san.

I remember from 1973-the year my husband and I started studying and were baptised, the Advertise talk in literature and at the meetings and conventions. Funny how they never included the statement, "Do you believe the King of glory has been present since 1874?" If they had, of course, questions may have arisen.

Then again, when I was young and impressionable, it may not have made a difference. I am older and less gullible (ready to believe) now. I am also bitter about being "in" for over thirty years and never getting the chance to know this before.

• undercover
    undercover

As has been mentioned, the original talk was named "Millions Now Living May Not Die" but later handbills were changed to "Millions Now Living Will Not Die". The latter phrase became the official title and campaign for decades afterwards.

So technically speaking, this WT article is correct. The talk in 1918 was named "...May...", though they conveniently leave out any reference to the changeover.

I do find it interesting that they actually show a handbill with the later phrase. If they were really looking to re-write their history, I don't think they would have included this photo. I don't think there is any sinister plan here. They're probably confident that most loyal dubs aren't going to even notice the difference. I'm sure that they're confident that they won't even dare question it.

Which is being over confident. This is the kind of thing that makes people take notice. If you're sitting in the KH in February 2010, trying to stay awake through another brain numbing WT study and you spend an inordinate amount of time studying the old photos to kill some time (which I liked to do when I was still in), this might be something that makes some people question. If you're paying attention at all, you have to wonder, "if they said in 1918 millions living will not die, yet here we are almost 100 years later...there can't be millions left to be alive..."

• sir82
    sir82

Thought which will fly over the heads of every single JW who "studies" this article:

That proclamation, using either" may" or "will", was absolutely wrong. It was a lie. The only people left from that time period are all at least 91 years of age - and all of them were children when the proclamation was made. The statement was never intended to mean "millions of toddlers and infants may/will survive into their 90's when Armageddon is imminent."

But as usual, JWs will just sit there with glassy eyes and swoon over how "discreet" the "slave" was.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

There is a 3 year gap in my Watchtower sources -- 1917 thru 1919 I do not have.

However, I may have found the transition from "may" to "will" in the 1920 issue of Watchtower. In searching for the expression "millions now living" reveals the following (please forgive my copying errors. I guess that's a poor OCR [optical character recognition] happening):

Len Miller

Feb 1, 1920
    It is
    comp:lr:ltively easy for as to get n number of people together.
    About 200 public meetings have heen hehl. The attendance
    has ranged fronl 100 to 3,300. The Inost productive of tim
    topics was "The World In.t,~ Ended--Millions Now Living
    May Never Die
    ". At present we are again using the old bl~,t
    ever interesting "Wllere are the Dead?" tracts. We look
    forward to a time of greater activity, and are rejoicing in
    the prospect of sllarlng in the Lord’s new work.

June 15, 1920
    Tacoma has a Stadium with a seating
    -capacity of 30,000. with extraordinary acoustics, enabling
    .every person, when tile Stadium is filled, to hear the speaker
    distinctly. Tile Stadium will be used for tile public meeting
    -on tile afternoon of Sunday. July 11. to be addressed by
    THE STADIUM AT TACOMA WASHINGTON
    Brother Rutherford. The friends of the various classes in
    the Northwest will join in the advertising of this public
    meeting Tile subject will be "Millions Now Living Will
    Never Die
    ". This subject is appropriate to the time, Is the
    -message of the hoar. and is one which multitudes of people
    desire lo know. This subject was used lit the New York
    Hippodrome which electing from 7,0(hi to 10,000 people
    were turned away.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The freshly changed title was a hot topic and they decided to create a booklet with that same title. The September, 1920 Watchtower makes that announcement.

Len Miller

BOOKLETS ON "MILLIONS NOW LIVING" READY
    Tile 128-page booklet, "Millions Now Living Will Never Die," is
    now ready for distribution ami orders will be filled as rapidly as
    possible. This booklet is in the nature of a companion piece to
    "Talking With tile Dead ? ? ?" Harmonious with tile restitutionarv
    character of the message the booklets are bound in a bluish gree;t
    mottled cover stock, embellished with appropriate design. In
    addition to the 112 pages originally announced, we have given
    an addendum of hundreds of Scripture citations in substantiation
    of the everlasting-human-life-for-man message now due. An endeavor
    has been made to make this list complete¯
    These booklets are procurable at 25c postpaid for single copies.
    Wholesale prices for fifty or more copies on request.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit