Are the Dubbers still preaching the end is very close?

by dogon 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LatinxJW
    LatinxJW

EOM

Your talking in circles, in one breathe you talk about 11 mil hunger deaths in the next you contradict yourself by stating that numbers are twisted. Regardless of #s you cannot deny historical evidence within the last couple of hundred years.

Lets keep it simple, give me a world changing event in your last 10 years that is not easily surpassed by past world historical events. If your'e talking about moral conduct nothing compares to the free love and drug use of the 60's.

Maybe you missed the media explosion of the late 20th century

So what you are telling me is Obama had a better chance of getting elected in 2000. Because according to your statement people are more racist now then in 2000.

• OBVES
    OBVES

Go to http://www.familyradio.com

and subsrcribe to a google group alt.religion.jehovahs-witn to learn what is awaiting the world in 2011 AD based on the latest understandings of the Bible .

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

The fact of the matter is that human history ebbs and flows--crops flourish and peace prevails, then famine strikes and the plague breaks out, wars start and stop and start again. Nevertheless, a close examination of the past century reveals it to be one of the most peaceful and prosperous in human history.

Yes, millions are in poverty and millions of children die each year of preventable causes--there's no getting around that tragedies exist. But there are 7 billion people on the planet, more than ever before, which is why you need to look at percentages of total population instead of straight numbers. The very fact that the human population has skyrocketed over the past century attests to the prevalence of food, medicine and general safety in comparison to past ages. It took humans tens of thousands of years to hit a billion--why? Because war, disease and famine tended to kill almost as many people as were born in any given year. Not anymore.

Further, there's never been as much motivation to alleviate human suffering than in the past several decades, which is why when famine strikes, for instance, in Africa, the numbers that die are nowhere near as staggering as in past centuries, even though the number of people affected might be very great. A very interesting place to visit is the UN website, where the Millenium Goals report can be found. While there are still staggering problems facing our species, over the last 20 years, more than a billion MORE people have improved water and sewage, poverty has decreased dramatically, and many communicable diseases, including malaria and AIDS, are moving downward. Ironically, there are more obese people on the planet right now than hungry--about a billion vs. 900 million hungry.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

One more thought: While EOM complains about the increasing tolerance toward gays as being a sign of worsening times, one might not think that way if one happens to be gay. One of the greatest improvements in modern human society is the acceleration of human rights, particularly for minorities, women and gay/lesbian and transgender folks. Yep, they're all folks and deserve the compassion and civil rights that have traditionally been reserved only for certain strata.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    Lets keep it simple, give me a world changing event in your last 10 years that is not easily surpassed by past world historical events. If your'e talking about moral conduct nothing compares to the free love and drug use of the 60's

And the 60's were on par with the 20's, and the 20's were on par with the 1860's, and before that it was the opium revolution, before that it was the excessive drinking of the middle ages, before that it was the absolute hedonism of the Roman Empire. Human history is very cyclical, those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Tuesday you forgot the morals practised by the Romans and of course the ancient greeks. Same old Same old!!!!

• LatinxJW
    LatinxJW

cadellin & tuesday

great points......!!!!!!

eom will just ignore all of us continue his chiken little course set by the 12 men playing Jehovah in BK.

• Edington
    Edington

The years prior to 1975 saw many brothers & sisters, at the coaxing of the WBTS, sell their homes, give up their jobs & cash in their pensions to pioneer because the big A was so imminent you could smell it.

Those brothers & sister are now spoken of as '75ers, going ahead of the society. I've even heard them called gullable by current witnesses.

An aquaintance of mine in another cong' feels the end is so close that he is giving up his well paid job to pioneer because he genuinely feels the end is so close. Of course he became a JW long after 1975 & just cannot accept that the urgency he feels now is just the same as theirs was in the late 60's early 70's.

Ed

• Heaven
    Heaven

Are the Dubbers still preaching the end is very close?

This was the main topic this past summer at the whatever convention/assembly (I never know which they are... and I don't care). So much so that they were on the news saying it's close. Yeah... yeah... since 1874.

The reason this time around: the economy and the unrest in parts of the world.

I pointed out to my Father that if the economy is a reason then Armageddon should have arrived during the Great Depression in the 1930s. He has no comebacks. Always the silence.

• undercover
    undercover
    If you don't see it you don't, but people today have changed from people in the 80/s and early 90's.

Yep...the Don Johnson/Miami Vice look finally, gratefully, went out of style...

You obviously didn't live during the 60s. You want to see change? Go back and look how much the world changed from 1962, hell...1964 even... to 1969. I'd say the last 20 years have been pretty stagnant compared to those few short years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit