Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• musky
    musky

Hi CoCo,

I hope things are going well for you, despite the current situation with the Internet availability and computer troubles.

I am glad to know you, CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Snowbird flying in.

Hi, everybody.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Fear of Dying

I'm Not Scared of Dyingsang the lead singer of Blood Sweat & Tears.

I always hummed this stanza or sang in an undertone because I WAS SCARED OF DYING!

There. I said it. I didn't want to die - ever.

In 1974, I embraced the JW's teaching that soon, very soon, probably 1975, dying would be a thing of the past, a footnote in the journal of life. Although I was intrigued by the 1975 probability, I just wanted dying to stop. Period.

All went well until September 1975, when a brother whom I once idolized died under mysterious circumstances in Brooklyn, New York.

Although this was tragic, my newfound faith made me shrug it off as simply an irritant.

In October 1977, a second brother died from alcoholism. My faith faltered a bit, but the lovebombing at the KH got me through.

I knew, also, that some were looking toward the year 1984 as a possible replacement for 1975.

In October 1987, a cold and distant woman known as my maternal grandmother died at the age of 104.

I'd been given to think that she would live to see "the end of this system of things," but I'd never really believed that "this generation will not pass away" applied to people who witnessed the events of 1914, anyway. Also, the year 2000 was looming large in the minds of some as a distinct possibility for the end.

In June 1991, when a niece in South Carolina died of some kind of respiratory complication at the age of 26, I was greatly perturbed, but not utterly broken. After all, the year 2000 was only nine years away. Surely something would happen by then.

In September 1994, a beloved nephew was shot to death during a domestic dispute. I was devastated!

Due to his lapse from JW's, his mother had to get a Baptist pastor to conduct his memorial service.

This, too, bothered me, but I kept going by telling myself that it was only six years until 2000. Something had to happen by then!

In July 1996, a dear older brother died of congestive heart failure. I consoled myself by thinking, "Only four more years."

2000! The year of years! If SOMETHING was going to happen, this should be the year, but, alas, nothing bit silence and disappointment.

What could be the problem?

To be continued ...

Sylvia

• musky
    musky

Hi Snowbird!

I enjoyed your thoughts.As a young kid,I always wanted to put some kind of time table on when the end would come.I was pretty young during 1975,but My mom told me that the organization never said that 1975 would be the end.I think she was just really disappointed and was in denial.She probably didn't know where else to turn anyway.I asked a brother that studied with me,how much longer.He said he wasn't sure,but certainly within 5 years.That was over 25 years ago.I questioned that same brother about whether the organization could be mistaken about the 1914 literal generation.He said absolutely not!I wonder what that brother is thinking these days.I don't doubt he is still as strong a witness as ever.He is probably just rationalizing things in a different way.I always believed that the end was just around the corner.Now,I believe I may die of old age some day.

I hope God will not think to badly of me.I hope God has mercy on me.

CoCo,

I hope all is well with you.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I hope God will not think to badly of me.I hope God has mercy on me.

Hi, Musky.

Of course He will!

I'm trying to keep things rolling until CoCo returns.

I'll never fill his shoes, though.

Thanks, anyway.

Sylvia

• musky
    musky

Hi, Snowbird

I enjoy reading your comments.You have a nice writing style!

Hi,CoCo

I hope you are having a great day.

You know what? I could go for one of these today.

It's been that kind of day.

• musky
    musky

Hello to CoCo and the Darkened Pane posters.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, dear friends!

Thanks so much, Sylvia and Musky, for your great contributions to this thread.

Your post, Syl, on the end is here topic is excellent, your dealing with how it affected you and yours personally. I enjoyed your comments, too, Musky. God will, it is hoped, have mercy upon us all who now seem to have more questions than answers.

Love,

CoCo, who likewise needs a

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends:

My perspective has changed greatly in the last week. Not only has my pc been once again affected by a crippling virus, but none of my three typewriters is operational [can you still get ink cartridges?]. I'm back to longhand, which is actually preferable as to the stream of consciousness flow and the permanent "hard copy": the rough draft.

A have a few selections that will come under the heading of Through a Brightened Pane. Since my collection of vignettes has begun to deal with looking from within or without panes of glass, I've had reason lately to see things from the brightened point of view.

I hope you'll enjoy my thoughts, which are as random and scattered as all my drafts have become - upon tables, countertops, my bed, suspended from hooks ...

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi CoCo, Musky, and all the other TADP followers.

I'm posting from our town little library because I just had to get in contact with you guys.

The "this generation" thing has got me fired up with a biblical zeal and indignation!

How dare they presumptuously teach such a thing!

How long, O Lord, how long???!!!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit