Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

Frances Fortier, our elderly neighbor at 250 Hernandez Terrace, died when I was around 10. Or so. At that age I wasn't overly aware of comings and goings. Unless, of course, it was a fancy automotive manner of entering or leaving the Terrace. Widowed some 30-odd years and living alone but for a mere dozen cats whom she adored, she lived quietly, unobtrusively. That genuine affection she showered on her little critters this kid peeking through the disintegrating grape stake fence could pick up on.

She left behind a derelict of a shabby and creepy old house that could well have passed as a dwelling possessed by the other. Her estranged family wanted the lumbering and decaying house emptied and, subsequently, put on the market. Or razed and the property sold. I couldn't have known anything about the heirs and their hoity toity airs. I was not acquainted with them and wouldn't have understood their cold indifference even if I were. I guess you could say that what little I do know about the underlying meanness of some people is what I clearly recall from a conversation between Mom and Effie Watson, realtor and broker, when she stopped by for coffee one cool morning. It was early spring when Frances died.

Mrs. Watson and my mother were discussing, in lowered voices, that all Mrs. Fortier's family (they were graciously ensconced in lovely homes in The City by the Bay) cared about was money and real estate. They never visited, much less would they do the simplest good deed on behalf of a selfless old woman who had spent herself so tirelessly for her now apathetic blood.

• compound complex
    compound complex

"Well, Liz, I contacted everyone in her family I possibly could - by letter, by telephone - and no one wants the job of setting the place in order. While I can't say that I blame them, given the frightful condition of her house and property, I simply don't understand their callous attitude toward the dear old lady. She was always available when her friends and family asked for help - or a handout. That, of course, was many years ago. It seems most of them were unaware of her living conditions, which would have been far worse without your and Arthur's intervention. I simply don't understand ... I do not understand," Effie trailed off, staring blankly into her empty coffee cup.

Mom, who loved helping those in need, was all too happy to bring over to Mrs. Fortier's home a pot of hot soup and the latest neighborhood chatter. She nodded sympathetically in response to Effie's commentary on the sad condition of the human heart. She knew the story.

As I look back now at the puzzle pieces of life on my street, in my town, I understand fully that the Frances Fortiers of the world cannot, however deep and abiding their love, stand before the likes of cold-hearted indifference. Often I reflect back upon the scary old house, full of mangy cats, and wonder if the spirit of that dwelling has traveled and taken up residence with her family.

They richly deserve that otherworldly menace....

• compound complex
    compound complex

Momentary break here ... for Ziddina:

DESPERATE WRITER JUMPS UP AND OUT BASEMENT WINDOW

Disassociated Press News Release (December 18, 2009):

An aging writer was found today by passersby, lying dazed and confused outside his basement studio window, in what local authorities are treating as a suicide attempt. Witnesses claim to have seen Gabriel Horne, age 60-something, leap up through and out the window of his subsurface residence.

It is understood from neighbors, who scarcely know Mr. Horne due to his reclusive nature, that he was depressed/angry/enraged over countless letters of rejection from various book publishing firms. They claim to know this only from piles of shredded letters at the base of his mailbox, which shredding was always accompanied by screams and cries of despair, which, naturally, drew worried but frightened neighbors to rifle through the mail, but only after Mr. Horne had clomped furiously back into his lowly hovel.

It is said, too, from an anonymous source, that Mr. Horne's only savings, from a bank account started in elementary school, was (given today's monetary chaos and by a cruel twist of flippant, financial fate) not insured by the FDIC, hence the writer's impoverished state and consequent inability to buy ink cartridges at STAPLES.

(Contributed by Horace Hack, Staff Writer, Miner's Point Gazette)

• musky
    musky

Hello CoCo,

"Rushing past me are images of people and buildings and books."

I hope that among those images,you see Musky getting out of the stream and standing next to you,if only briefly.With a hand on your shoulder he offers you some company.

I hope you know that your comments are always much appreciated.Thanks, friend

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Musky:

Your comments are among the most heart-warming that I've ever read. I just returned from my evening walk, having seen and chatted with three neighbors en route. Your words and "company" have been as uplifting to me as that of my neighbors.

You, too, have a great evening and weekend. I know I will!

Yours truly,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

WAITING

I have waited and waited but am no longer able.

Time does not coax me along but demands I take my leave

Of surroundings familiar and those whom I've loved since youth.

The Klaxon insists not a moment more be spent idle.

Like sheep prodded, herded into confines Nature and God

Never wished that free men and women should be forced to go.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings to all, if anyone happens by ...

I'm watching the sun set through my own dirty panes.

Love,

CoCo

• musky
    musky

Hello CoCo,

I hope all is well with you.Just a quiet day around here.

have a good evening

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hello, Musky:

Here also. Hope all's well with you and yours. Look forward to writing some more soon.

Take care of yourself,

CoCo

• compound complex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit