In the Interests of Unity Between us Brits and You Yanks...

by creativhoney 221 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

There are differen't dialects and slang in the States, as well. I've never heard anyone outside of Wisconsin refer to an ATM as a Tyme machine.

• undercover
    undercover

Little things that I like how the Brits do it:

Instead of "excuse me" they say "sorry" as if to say "I'm sorry to bother you, but may I pass by?" Very proper sounding.

The word "right". Right then, let's do this or that. Right, I agree. Right, when shall we go?

"Cheers". Here we say "cheers" before taking a drink or when toasting or similar. I noticed there that "cheers" was "thank you".

We get 'in line'. Brits queue up.

Brit, Scottish and Irish pubs are better than American bars. Cask conditioned ale is better than American micro brews.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

@babygirl, pissed means drunk or angry, depending on the context. we often say pissed off, but you might say im am so pissed in an annoyed tone or I was pissed or are you getting pissed or lets get pissed. for drunk. a pisshead is a drunkard.

some pissed people go for a piss in the street and that really pisses me. - I forgot it means urinate too. x

er no we dont have cobblestones but some still exist and they put them in pedestrianised areas for aesthetic value.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Creativhoney, you ever hear anyone say, "God save the queen" on a daily basis?

Can you really make fun of the Imperial Guards and they won't do anything (as long as you don't touch them)?

Have you been to Buckingham Palace?

Ever gotten your knickers in a bunch?

Do you like spotted dick?

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Cherrio, means goodbye. Here that is a cereal.

Lift, here that is an elevator

Why do I keep seeing Austin Powers in my head???? lol

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hey there Brits,

There was a Mason Dixon line in the United States: the quick snippet from Wikipedia: the Mason-Dixon Line symbolizes a cultural boundary between the Northern United States and the Southern United States (Dixie).

To the North were the Yankees, or Yanks to the south were the Scalawags, Rednecks, or Confederates. Every term for both areas considered derogatory.

From your side of the pond, the word Fag for a cig......I'm not going there.

A Cue, and the Lu, is considered waiting in line and the bathroom here. I don't know how to spell your version.

When you say you are on a Holiday, to us that means you have a paid day off recognized by your employer and the government. We call it a vacation when you get extended time off.

I've heard you have squatter's rights in England. No such thing here.

r.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

@undercover - right then, lets answer that, yes sorry is used all the time, or do you mind, and may I. at least amongst those of us who are taught to interact and not just grunt.and yea cheers mate means thanks, I think the aussies use that too,. we also say it to raise a glass though.

@sacolton - no one says that ever. except maybe lord burleigh at the coronation of Elizabeth I. and no sadly thats a myth about the guards, you cant get near them, they are well tucked behind the gates of the palace. but they do have some good displays when they change the guards, yes Ive seen the sights a few times, used to take 30 students every year..

@babygirl - only elderly or geeks would say cheerio lol, as they stepped into the lift and waved at you!

• highdose
    highdose

British people still wear bowler hats.... only in films and for fancy dress

They like to say "wot?"....." you wot!?!" yes and our mothers always respond by saying " don't say what say pardon!"

They drink tea all the time.....hmmm ok yes

They eat crumpets (whatever that is) with their tea..... if you havn't tried crumpets you havn't lived! necter pure necter!

Fish and chips are the only things to eat for dinner.... rubbish what about toad in the hole? Bubble and squeak? shepards pie? theres loads!

The sun never shines in England. It always rains... dos occasionaly shine, but normaly only when your couped up in a boiling hot satium trying to listen to a convention of JW's!

British people have bad teeth.... totaly twaddle! i spent most of my childhood in braces and now have excellent teeth.

British woman like to run around topless (Benny Hill shows)... yes but you get arrested... have to go to france for that me dear;)

"Wanker" is a fun word to say over and over.... yes it is, as is "bloody" which has somehow become a "non swear word" if you know what i mean?

Some streets are cobbled, they look good but realy hurt to walk on, and in the rain are like ice rinks!

We do say "sorry" and "pardon" about everything and anything, no idea why??? sorry... pardon me i don't know;)

and you can't beat a nice cuppa!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

H.P stands for hire purchase

Wow creativehoney - you just cleared up a 30 year mystery - Thank you!

Do you ever say cell phones or is it just "Moe Bile"?

• Adrianoblue
    Adrianoblue

there are two types of brits: the ones as sacolton wrote, with the bowler hats. the other ones are called yobs.

to have a conversation with a yob, all you have know are the following words:

f***, f***ing, wanker, for f***`s sake, c**t, f***ing bastard, twat etc.

just use them after every second word, and you`re part of the club ; )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit