In the Interests of Unity Between us Brits and You Yanks...

by creativhoney 221 Replies latest jw friends

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

Tally Ho! I thought it might be jolly nice to have a thread that dispels the myths about each others cultures. so from little Britain I hope Y'all respond and we can turn this into a nice chat. In the spirit of Bill Brysons Mother Tongue and Made in America which highlight some of our differences so amusingly .. what the f**k is a counterpane? and where he says tomaton on the full english looked like a blood clot... let the games begin x

• undercover
    undercover

Okay...first of all, those of us from the U.S. South do not like to be referred to as Yanks or Yankees. Yankees are Northerners (or any non-Southerner for that matter).

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Point taken, undercover....It is just that the rest of Europe considers the adjective "Yankee" to refer to anything North American..I think it stems from WW2 when the airmen from the U S A were over here....

What about the words "closet" & "fawcet" and ever since I heard it in a film ....what (dare I ask), is a fanny pack???

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

Thank you, thats what Im talking about. and do you southeners have anything by which you are referred to, or are you just good old Americans? - See Ive never been to the south, just NYC, DC and NJ ... and oh were they up on the myths.. especially I like the Irish pubs that serve nothing Irish lol

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

isnt a fanny pack a bum bag? I guess English man would think it was some kind of sex toy.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I'm originally a Yank (born in Iowa) then moved South and became an Okie.

I think most of the humor (or humour) comes from the colorful (or colourful) comedy of Monty Python that indoctrinated us with fancy British slangs and stereotypes. I used to watch that show every Saturday night in the 80s and loved it.

Monty Python taught me:

British people still wear bowler hats.

They like to say "wot?".

They drink tea all the time.

They eat crumpets (whatever that is) with their tea.

Fish and chips are the only things to eat for dinner.

The sun never shines in England. It always rains.

British people have bad teeth.

British woman like to run around topless (Benny Hill shows)

I love the British! They gave us the Sex Pistols!

"Wanker" is a fun word to say over and over.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I always get a kick when I am visiting friends in England and they tell me they will "knock me up in the morning."

Now, I know they are telling me they will awaken me by knocking on my door in the morning, but in the US the term "knock up" means to impregnate.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Tally Ho! I thought it might be jolly nice to have a thread that dispels the myths about each others cultures.

Myths such as the brits' overuse of words such as jolly and tally ho?

• undercover
    undercover
    do you southeners have anything by which you are referred to, or are you just good old Americans?

LOL...depends on who you ask.

Southerners fits us just fine, after being American. Being Southern is a source of pride for many. I've likened it to being Scottish. Scots are part of the UK, under British rule, yet fiercely independant and loyal to all things Scottish. In fact, many Southerners are made up of Scots and Irish that migrated here. I think that stubborn pride is inherited.

Most non-Southerners don't understand us, so they make fun of us.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I finally figured out that when I hear the British say "Gare Edge" it means garage (many years to figure that one out)

I'd like to know what Elton John meant in his song "Someone Saved My Life Tonght" when he says HP demands forever. Is this some British term?

BTW- Sacolton, I am heading to Okie next month. Any Suggestions on fun?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit