Name Some Stupid Watchtower Rules or Ideas

by minimus 120 Replies latest jw friends

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

You must bring your own modest bathing suit and towel.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

One more.

The first aid dept. is not to be used as a nursery. You are to keep your children with you at all times.

• JRK
    JRK

Why can't women wear pants out in service when it is -20 below zero? I would love to see a GB member doing that without knickers!

JK

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

can't say God bless you when someone sneezes

no bumper stickers on your service car

can't vote

can't have an oppinion about anything political

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They do favor certain political processes and even candidates. It is covert. Don't tell me they don't prefer U.S. First Amendment rights and absence of taxation of religions. I may have posted before that I am intrigued with the Establishment Clause. Not taxing is subsidizing religion in violation of the Establishment Clause. All atheists and agnostics foot the bill for a religion they do not support. How is this difference from the established Church of England? Roman Catholicism and fundamentalists really get on my nerves. Yet I am paying for Catholic education and fundamentalist political activity.

On the other hand, taxation involves excessive entanglement in religion to enforce the code. Granting tax-exempt status is establishing a religion in large part. I'm not certain of the IRS rules. Obviously, they have passed constitutional muster.

My mom was terrorized growing up b.c the US was apparently losing WWII in the beginning. She always taked about MacArthur leaving Coregidor and the subs in CA and NY harbor waters the way I now talk about September 11th. The Society related the stories of brothers and sisters resisting in concentration camps. I can't believe that especially the ruling Bethel group wasn't thankful that they were Americans and largely isolated from the war compared to Europeans or Pacific peoples. It is so typical of civil liberties practice that the Supreme Court sometimes stands up to the vested interests to protect minorities. They can't even give qualified approval to a country willing to do so. Most countries do not. As a child I could not equate the US with Germany and Japan. I never believed in American exceptionalism b/c of the Witnesses.

I became interested in Establishment Clause law because it is so complex. First Amendment rights always attracted me as a child b/c of my own family's experience as Witnesses. Compared with every other field, the law does not seem principled but very political. There is a lifestyle war raging between the majority and minority. I want religion off me. Present law allows government funding of programs at Notre Dame and other Catholic schools as long the funding is indirect. The majority mistakenly believes funding is sanitized if individualls have choice. This is a serious legal fiction to me. Our country suports religion now more than any other Western democracy. The fact that Catholics once not considered Christian and seemly in polite society are now a majority of the Court is impacting the decisions. Discussing this issue with the general public, I am fascinated that it unleases very powerful feelings.

Law supposedly is built on principles, not politics, and gives notice so that people can order their business for a stable society. Law is not supposed to turn on which president appointed you. These cases are as tainted as Bush v. Gore. If anyone has any ideas how I could research what the underlying concerns are that pushes people's emotions so greatly. I'd appreciate hearing it. People are on one side or the other.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My fav: masturbation will make you gay.

• Christ Alone
  • MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Field service equivalent to exercise.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Its’ bad enough that WT’s doctrine on disfellowshipping is unscriptural. WT had to yet invent another non-Biblical rule that no clapping or applause is allowed when reinstatement announcements are made as can be seen from the Feb 2000 Kingdom Ministry page 7:

Question Box

Is it appropriate to applaud when a reinstatement is announced?

In his loving-kindness, Jehovah God has provided a Scriptural way for repentant wrongdoers to regain his favor and achieve reinstatement in the Christian congregation. (Ps. 51:12, 17) When this takes place, we are encouraged to confirm our love for such sincerely repentant ones.—2 Cor. 2:6-8.

Even so, as joyful as we are when a relative or acquaintance is reinstated, a quiet dignity should prevail at the time that the person’s reinstatement is announced in the congregation. The Watchtower of October 1, 1998, page 17, expressed matters this way: “We must remember, however, that most in the congregation are not aware of the particular circumstances that led to a person’s expulsion or to his reinstatement. In addition, there may be some who have been personally affected or hurt—perhaps even on a long-term basis—by the wrongdoing of the repentant one. Being sensitive to such matters, therefore, when an announcement of reinstatement is made, we would understandably withhold expressions of welcome until such can be made on a personal basis.”

Although we are very happy to see someone return to the truth, applause at the time of his or her reinstatement would not be appropriate.

Apparently the Angels don’t keep quiet! WT forgot to mention Luke 15:7 which describes how Angels feel about one who repents: ‘I tell you that thus there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner that repents than over nine-nine righteous ones who have no need of repentance’

• Fernando
    Fernando

As in "Franzgate 1980" and tens of thousands of similar cases:

Shun those preferring the gospel to religion.

This rule is implemented surreptitiously, as the Pharisees dread being exposed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit