Suing Parents for Cult Indoctrination

by jeanniebeanz 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Has anyone ever heard of suing their parents for raising them as a member of a cult?

Kids sue their parents for other forms of abuse and courts take such lawsuits seriously. Do you think it would be possible to win a lawsuit brought because your parents chose to force you into a cult?

Just a thought...

Jean

• Will Power
    Will Power

great idea - even if you don't win - there is cult education to think about - and maybe a movie????

• JeffT
    JeffT

I hope the courts don't take that up, it would open a can of worms. Being a parent is hard enough without wondering what some lawyer is going to cook up twenty years after the fact.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Interesting idea, and a 2 edged sword. I doubt it could be won, but it would serve as a wakeup call to parents to examine their own beliefs and to take more responsibility.

S

• Robdar
    Robdar

I agree with JeffT. Besides, your parents only get you for 17-18 years. After that, decisions to remain in the cult are an individual choice.

• rebel8
    rebel8

In the US you'd have to prove they were negligent, abusive, deviated from the range normal parenting standards, and did you significant harm...something like that.

Being in a religion you didn't like is what it's going to seem to the judge.

Usually these discussions go nowhere....I've come to believe discussing suing or any other revenge/justice is simply a mental exercise to make us feel empowered over a situation in which we felt powerless.

So far I've never heard of anyone actually submitting a case proposal to a liability attorney to see if s/he will take the case. That's what leads me to believe this is just a mental exercise.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Your parents had your best interests at heart, even if they were misguided. Suing is not the solution. If they are still involved in a Cult do what you can to get them out.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Ever hear of the concepts of freedom of speech and freedom of religion?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Usually these discussions go nowhere....I've come to believe discussing suing or any other revenge/justice is simply a mental exercise to make us feel empowered over a situation in which we felt powerless.

Yup. An attorney is as close as the nearest phone book, or http://www.legalmatch.com/bd/introSEM.html?gclid=COuGuqHm550CFSXyDAodhD8xRA&pl=&nw=search&cr=2398128364&kw=find+a+lawyer&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&aq=t&oe=utf-8&ie=utf-8&q=find+a+lawyer

Talking about suing is just a form of mental masturbation.

• lola28
    lola28

My mom used to make me dress up in a hedious dress as a child, should i sue?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit