Suing Parents for Cult Indoctrination

by jeanniebeanz 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mouthy
    mouthy

TREMBLE!!! TREMBLE!!! Guess if that happened i am lost....

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Bad idea.

I indoctrinated mine in the Jdubs. She hated it and me for it in the end. Still, I thought it was the only choice at the time.

If torture, rape, or some other deviant conduct is involved, then yes. Otherwise, Jdub, mormon, amish, etc., it's just the luck of the draw what parents believe, and of course teach their kids.

Jeff

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

So far I've never heard of anyone actually submitting a case proposal to a liability attorney to see if s/he will take the case.

This was actually my question... I was wondering if anyone had heard of it being tried. With all of the crazy stuff people sue over, it wouldn't surprise me if someone, somewhere had tried it.

J

• JeffT
    JeffT

As far as I know religion didn't enter into it, but about ten years ago there was some group around here trying to round up men that wanted to sue their parents for circumsizing them. They refered to it as "mutiliation" in the ads. I never heard that a suit had been filed and they went away after awhile. I suspect they couldn't find an attorney to take the case.

I think you'd have the same trouble suing JW's.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

n the US you'd have to prove they were negligent, abusive, deviated from the range normal parenting standards, and did you significant harm...something like that.

----------------

I would assume that there are JW kids that were home schooled (like any number of kids) whose parents did not necessarily do any sort of a job in actually making them learn. Those kids could probably at some level, cite neglect - keeping them out of school to avoid 'bad association' or 'worldly association' on the pretext of home schooling - that sort of thing with proof, may bring issues into light. I don't advocate suing - but then, one must determine the damages done to them on their own. sammieswife.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I think in a democracy this is a bad idea....

However, I do think a potential weak point, perhaps for a class action lawsuit, is for those baptized in their early teens and younger but hence DF'd to sue over coercive tactics by JW's for allowing a lifetime decision to be made by minors.....

As I am not a lawyer, I don't even take my suggestion seriously, but I haven't really heard this discussed before either.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Mouthy, I would be in trouble also...

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Has anyone ever heard of suing their parents for raising them as a member of a cult?

The mere thought of suing those who gave us life is nauseating to me. And my Mother was the mother-from-Hell. Yet, she gave me life when before I had no life.

Farkel

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

A German woman sued her Scientologist parents. Google "Vivien Krogmann Lutz" and you find e.g.

http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/vivien-krogmann.htm

• finding my way
    finding my way

My Mom was baptized after 3 months of even knowing about witnesses. I was two years old and she wanted me to have a better life than she felt she could provide at the time. The witnesses provided her with a black and white way to raise me and she thought she was doing me a favor. Ironically she has now lost me as a daughter and I am dead to her because of the grip they have.

She had good intentions, and I don't think suing would be an answer. In America though, people have won lawsuits over less so it's possible..

~fmy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit