College

by AllTimeJeff 48 Replies latest jw friends

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

You're married and you didn't tell us? (That's crying because you didn't tell us, not because you're married. Although I maintain my internet crush on you.)

Go to school. What have you got to lose?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I am very grateful for the feedback, its helping me work a few things out...

Bluecanary, we can have an internet crush on each other, regardless of my marital status. You rock! I always appreciate what you have to say....

Zarco, I am in the eastern third of the United States (I am not giving away the state I now live in; i know, I am weird...) But the speech pathology is something I haven't given a nanoseconds worth of thought to till you brought it up. I will research it. I appreciate your feedback and wisdom...

And to all, I thank you very much. It is helpful and encouraging....

• JeffT
    JeffT

maybe accounting... probably not accounting. I need to make some money with a 4 year degree.

Hey! I'm an accountant (well unemployed accountant at the moment but that is at least 50% my own fault). My original degree is in English. No teaching jobs in 1973 so I became a JW. Went back to school in 1982 and studied accounting. In retrospect that was also the start of my exit from the borg.

I've found that the combination of college studies as served me well. I am well positioned to do things like write policy and procedures manuals.

If you want to go into business take at least enough accounting to understand what we bean counters are talking about when we're explaining the financial statements to you. I've done some HR as well, they can be high paying jobs and a serious pain in the ass; proceed with caution.

In any event, go for it and good luck. Based on my own experience I think that older people get a lot more out of college. They're focused on studying as opposed to sex, drugs and rock and roll (or the current version thereof).

• behemot
    behemot

I went back to college at 41 a few months after leaving the borg, graduated at 44 magna cum laude (working 36 hours a week and caring for family all the while). You can make it ATJ.

Behe

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Fantastic news! Going to college is definitely worthwhile if you can afford it. I have a Bachelors degree (won't say in what, that would be a giveaway), and it feels nice to have finished something. May have taken 4yrs, but was so worth it.

May I suggest teaching? You would make an excellent one I think :)

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Damn Jeff I didn't know you had gotten married again either. Congrats! As far as job security goes, a degree in healthcare can provide that. There are always sick people, unfortunately.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Hey Jeff, allow me to put in my two cents. If you can hack the math, go for engineering. While there are no guarantees when it comes to finding a job, engineers typically (1) make more money starting out and (2) have lower unemployment than liberal arts and business majors.

And the fact that you have strong communications skills will make you a rare commodity among engineers. People who are technically strong and can also communicate well can do very well for themselves.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While I don't have a desire to get a degree, my JW wife had an overwhelming desire to get it. She spent a great deal of her 30's in school, but has a master's degree today. Just become an unstoppable force and you will do it.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Hey Jeff. I was also 35 when I started working on my degree and am now 2 classes away. It's taken a while because of family committments but I can tell you that it's made a world of difference. I always resented not going to college and felt inferior to others that had degrees. Funny thing was that I started when I was still an elder but before the crackdown on "higher eduction".

I really wanted the piece of paper to sort of validate my abilities which is why I went the online route. If I get an MBA, I'll probably do that one in person since I did miss a huge portion of the college experience.

You can do it!!

• greenie
    greenie

School is awesome! I know a guy who went to law school in his forties! He's a huge success now. Also, if you are interested in teaching, there are emergency certificate programs going in states right now due to shortages. You should look into them. I was surprised at teacher salaries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit