College

by AllTimeJeff 48 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi all. I know I have threatened to do this before, like when I first left. But I am thinking of going to college.

This time, I feel determined. I need to do this. I won't feel complete without getting a degree. I will then take the degree I got from Gilead, and see how favorably it compares to Charmin.

Still scared, but more determined then ever. Work is killing me. I need to do this.

Hope all are well. Comments are welcome. I am probably going to take Business management, HR, maybe accounting... probably not accounting. I need to make some money with a 4 year degree. So on that score, your suggestions are very welcome...

I think I will do ok for a 35 year old.... Hope so anyway...

• musky
    musky

I wish you the best! Once you start, don't give up.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Jeff my wife is doing a degree by correspondence course (the Open University), she helps run my business, looks after the family (with some help from me) and all the usual day to day stuff. Her first two years she was also doing all the theocratic stuff(I think this will take a back seat this year.

She find her course (child psycology) a recreational pursuit.

I did my BSc and MBA on sandwich courses, but was sponsored by my company. I found both my degrees extremely stressful and and did not enjoy them. I think the big difference between us, is she wants to do the course, I was expected to do mine.

You are obviously a very bright guy, If you do something you really want to do, you will both enjoy it and be succesful. Go for It!! (and keep us informed of your progress.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I hear you Musky.... My problem has never been finishing, its starting....

Thanks cantleave. I enjoy business, but I would rather teach high school history. At the same time, I need to make some (more) money. If I had no debts, teaching. But I would also like to retire some day,,,, so business management, or some kind of management sounds real good at the moment.

I am going to start in Feb 2010. Looking at classes right now.

• yknot
    yknot

Maybe consider what industries you find most facinating......

I have a BA in Business...... ummm your Gilead Degree is of finer grain then it when it comes to raising a family (oh wait that is only for us gals!)

Anywho...... most people fall into one of two catagories regarding their career.

1) Field or industry they enjoy

2) Career whose pay and hours offer the ability to live the life they want outside of work.

Figure which of the two you are and either narrow downs industry/work you enjoy or make a point to look up your state's workforce education/pay scale.

I wholeheartedly desire for you to go to college! I love love love college and will remain a lifelong student!

See if you can Clep some of your basics or consider taking them online. I attend a school whose online courses start every month! Some courses can even be finished in 4-8 weeks which in my world is the ideal way to burn away your basics.

Bachelors are a must (trust me I have a BA in Business and Biology).....and am working on my bachelors in nursing (cuz I have kids and I like working 'Baylors' along with other perks to the nursing field).

Plus if you go back to college you can drop your gym membership and opt for a phys-ed course each semester that forces discipline and weekly attendance.

Either way you will never ever ever ever regret going, not to mention it will boost your confidence with the ladies!

Eventually you will remarry and probably have kiddos like everybody else..... a degree offers you a career that allows you to support a family with dignity.

Besides...... all your peers here are doing it or have done it.......time to stop being a college virgin!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I went back at 44. You think 35 is late? Yikes! You can do whatever you put your mind to. You'll see. It will be a challange but a good one. All your communication skills will make it easy to really shine. That's one thing about that Mother of an organization, she taught us to sell ourselves. You can do it. I'm praying for you... no, wait..... not praying, just thinking positive thoughts. Go team ATJ !!!!! W.Once

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I appreciate everyone's advice so far.

Eventually you will remarry and probably have kiddos like everybody else..... a degree offers you a career that allows you to support a family with dignity.

Already took care of that. Don't know if we want kids, but, I might change my mind... (thats a thread for another day) :)

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Oh honey! I can't believe you told everyone!

On a serious note, I'm in college, full-time, plus work full time. It's been a challenge, but terrific. Be happy to answer any questions for you - just PM me.

• yknot
    yknot
    Already took care of that. Don't know if we want kids, but, I might change my mind... (thats a thread for another day) :)

"Allie Oops" babies happen all the time.... especially to couples who are 35-50

......just saying..... as a fellow 35 year old....

Either way, education is a fine investment that always yields a return more than the start up costs.....

(Maybe you and the Mrs can take courses together)

And congrats on the Mrs, part too !!!!!!!!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Oh honey! I can't believe you told everyone!

Lol. Thats funny. Thanks GG. I'll do that!

yknot, the first time I thought about going to college was right after I left JW's, and I was T I R E D. This feels like the time is right..... I really believe I have things to do with my life. That I can and will make a difference.

The Mrs has a grad degree in psychology. She is part of the reason why I am pursuing this again.... And yea, and allie oops, while might being named differently, will certainly be top of mind... I wouldn't want to raise kids cleaning windows (shaking head at the memory of JW fathers trying to take care of their families... wow!)

How old were you when you started yknot?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit