College

by AllTimeJeff 48 Replies latest jw friends

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Good for you, Jeff, even if it means we will see you play werewolf with us less... it's definitely a good excuse for when we pester you to play ;)

Seriously, though, if it's important to you I really hope you follow through on it. Making and reaching goals is important.

Jackie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

You're missing a hell of a game, by the way ;)

Jackie

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

*sigh* Jackie, you're hurting me sweetheart! :) Thanks for the encouragement.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Jackie, you're hurting me sweetheart!

Yes... that's what I do to men I enjoy ;P

Jackie

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Yes... that's what I do to men I enjoy ;P

LOL

Women are scary.....

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Jeff, you are going to absolutely love going back to school. I went back at 35 with kids, a job, a husband and was still trying to be in "the truth". School is where I had my first little epiphany's about the organization. If you can start with some stuff on the weekends or evenings you will be with more adults which I really loved. I started with just one class at campus and an online class at a time. Then when I wanted to go full time, I started working on the weekends and going to school Mon-Thu, work payed for the whole thing! It was hectic but a holiday or summer was always around the corner. I can't you encourage enough. Best of luck! NMKA

• dissed
    dissed

At 40 a JW friend went to college to become a Chiropractor. He was an elder and man was he judged then back in the 80's.

Now people are envious of him. Its never too late.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

sounds like a great idea. I got a b-com (and copped a lot of flack as a young witness) and the older students did a lot better as they have a lot better understanding of life and business processes. I hated accounting and moved into software sales so do not really use my degree, but just having a degree makes a big difference in getting a job.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Yes Jeff, enroll and learn! Besides the practical and financial advantages, seek to learn for the sake of wisdom itself.

"And so I prayed, and understanding was given me; I entreated, and the spirit of wisdom came to me.
    I esteemed her more than sceptres and thrones; compared with her, I held riches as nothing. (...)

For she is to human beings an inexhaustable treasure, and those who acquire this win God's friendship, commended to him by the gifts of instruction."

(Wisdom 7: 7, 8 and 14; New Jerusalem Translation)

• zarco
    zarco

Jeff,

We are really happy with your decision. You will excel at college. I can tell by your inquisitive mind and excellent writing style. Going to college as an adult may seem difficult, but in reality the professors and fellow students appreciate good thinking, effort and a willingness to learn. The only problem with starting college as an adult - in my opinion- is that you need to select a degree that has a high probability of a rewarding career. For instance, fields such as accounting and engineering and business sometimes lead to great jobs, but the large firms usually hire younger people and abuse the heck out of them and see who survives. If you survive you end up making a lot of money and have nice schedule.

You might want to look at degrees that end up with you on a level playing field with fellow graduates. A graduate degree in accounting (as a CPA) would allow you to hang up your own shingle or start in a smaller firm. A degree in education (with a certificate) would make you immediately employable. In many parts of the country there is a real shortage of teachers - I don't know where you live - at times if you agree to teach certain subjects or in certain areas your education will be paid for and paid internships are available.

Human resources is another area where being a little older may be an advantage. Many older hires are more slanted toward organizational development than HR. But in this field, experience is a plus, maybe even your Gilead experience.

Another avenue to consider is going all the way and pursuing a doctoral level degree. This would allow you to teach or research at a university. And while the time and expense can be tough, the end result can be very rewarding.

My last thought on the issue - with the limited knowledge that I have about you - is to pursue a degree and certification in speech pathology. You likely have excellent language skills, a good empathic listening style and a love of people - combining those skills would make you a great speech pathologist. They are highly employable and the pay is great.

All the best,

zarco

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit