“THE REVELATION, IT’S GRAND CLIMAX AT HAND"

by maputo95 74 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

AE, you might wanna wash your hand

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Is the book cited above a scholarly and dependable commentary on Revelation?

Hell no, it is an exquisite example of the art of eisegesis, of making the text mean whatever you want it to mean. It is a commentary on JW eschatology, not on Revelation itself. It is about the furthest one can get from actual exegetical scholarship. The JWs aren't the only ones who have taken such an approach (Revelation is very popular in popular eschatology), but the Finished Mystery and the Revelation Climax books are imo masterpieces of this style of interpretation. For something very different, check out Robert Mounce's NICNT commentary, Gordon Beale's NIGTC commentary or David Aune's magisterial three-volume Word commentary.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Sorry guys... forget for moment that the book is full of WTB CRAP!- I just cant handle most of the pictures in it!

Anyone remember the page number or have a pic of that freaky daemon hand? I burned my copy last winter!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Lilith,

Was it one of the images on this page? --> http://www.watchtowerlies.com/watchtowerlies_019.htm

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I get it now Mrs Jones

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Yep, thanks.... thats the one- creepy stuff!

This was the book they were studing here when I went to my first book study (before they changed the arrangements). They had 5 to 10 year old children reading this book- I came in during the whole 'wine press and blood thingy..' yuk ! so I told the lady I was studying it with that I'll wait till the new book starts before comming to the thursday night book study on a reg basis.... shoulda stopped then hey?

• blondie
    blondie
    CT Russell mostly avoided detailed commentary of Revelation in his 6 Vols. The 7th Vol. Studies of the Scriptures was written by other Bible Students like Woodworth and company.

I have read the "7th volume" and it was not written by Woodworth but was rather quotes picked out of Russell's writings on various points in Revelation.

The publisher's preface says in part:

But the fact is, he did write it. This book may properly be said to be a posthumous publication of Pastor Russell.

Why? Because to him the Lord gave the "key"; to him was given the privilege of making clear to the Church ln its last years the "Mystery of God"; to him was granted the privilege of bearing from the hands of the Lord to the Household of Faith "meat in due season" for the special development and sustenance of God's dear little ones. This service he has faithfully performed. This book is chiefly a compilation of things which he wrote and which have been brought together in harmonious style by properly applying the symbols which he explained to the Church.

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/finishedmystery/fmtitles.html
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Well, I think that WT publication was falsely named. As often as I had to study it at the CBS, in more than one language even, it never did bring me to any "climax".

False Advertising!

• TD
    TD

My observation is that there is not a single JW book that has caused more JWs to leave than this one. Even by JW standards, it is way, way beyond braindead.

Although I'm not a believer, James Stuart Russell's The Parousia is rocket science when compared to Revelation Climax

• villabolo
    villabolo

Blondie, I knew but had totally forgotten that The Finished Mystery was a scissors and paste creation based on Russell's teachings. However I was of the opiniion that certain parts of it may have actually been written by another author. The part mentioned on pages 165 & 166 where bald headed men are spewing out smoke out of their mouths doesn't seem to be Russell's style. Russell's writing style no matter how fanciful and absurd his explanations were did not include gibberish. And on page 241 his deification is unlikely to have been penned by him (no matter how big his ego was). Therefore I assume that the book was mostly compilations of Russell (98%?) with a smattering of statements like the above written perhaps by Woodworth himself or somebody else. Also, the "exegesis" on page 334 of Revelation 22:6 in which Russell is interpreted to be the angel of Rev 1:1! "beyond the veil"(death) does not sound like something that Russell would write about himself.

villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit