“THE REVELATION, IT’S GRAND CLIMAX AT HAND"

by maputo95 74 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

CT Russell mostly avoided detailed commentary of Revelation in his 6 Vols. The 7th Vol. Studies of the Scriptures was written by other Bible Students like Woodworth and company.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Designs:

"The 7th Vol. Studies of the Scriptures was written by other Bible Students like Woodworth and company."

Reading that book one comes away with the impression that the author(s) were clinically psychotic.

villabolo

• designs
    designs

Villabolo-

As a movement the Bible Students were reeling from the expectations of 1914 and trying to rewrite the End Times scenario yet stay loyal to CTR's ideas. Many of the Bible Students groups came away with a revised Armageddon being synonymous with the Last Days.

You see similar things with Fundamentalists who try and see every skirmish in the Middle East as the count down to the Second Coming.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Deep down, anyone who reads the Revelation book, and gets that sick, queasy feeling that deep down, something is very wrong here, has a shot to get out at some point. They are being honest and saying on some level: "Wow, this is a lot of bullshit here...."
    For those who read it and buy it hook line and sinker, these are lifelong JW's.

Well said.

• villabolo
    villabolo

designs:

"As a movement the Bible Students were reeling from the expectations of 1914 and trying to rewrite the End Times scenario yet stay loyal to CTR's ideas. Many of the Bible Students groups came away with a revised Armageddon being synonymous with the Last Days.

You see similar things with Fundamentalists who try and see every skirmish in the Middle East as the count down to the Second Coming."

Designs, I'm very well aware of that but the statements on pages 165 and 166 of The Finished Mystery is not merely religious hyperbole. Their manner of explanation sounds very similar to how some schizophrenics talk. I suggest you download-I have no scanner-the book and see for yourself. The stress that they were going through may have precipitated the psychotic state of mind that Woodworth was obviously in.

villabolo

• designs
    designs

Villabolo,

I had to get my copy out. Its a funny comment on a funnier (odd) comment from some book from 1618 by H. Crooke. They are attacking Christendom and it theories and theology- the Fire and Brimestone Crowd, the lack of scientific study in the Dark Ages, the Papacy etc..

It almost reads like someone is free-associating the various symbols of Revelation- serpents and tails and plagues galore!

One aspect that may explain where these editors were coming from is the Bible Students didn't worry about converting the world as some Denominations were in saving souls from Hell. They believed the Gospel Age was only for selecting the Elect and the Age To Come was for humankind in general.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There is a link somewhere on the huge number of "official " changes that were added by the WTBTS when we studied it 18 months ago - cant just find it

• designs
    designs

I thought the 'cut out the new pages from the KM and tape them to the Revelation Book' Campaign went well.....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It did - but the whole point was that from a book that was published in 1988 and just 20 years later there are a HUGE number of "official" changes makes it laughable that this is Gods Spirit directed organization

• lancelink
    lancelink

After having studied it for three times, I began to realize how absurdly dysfunctional the JW religion can be.

It was the beginning of the end for me starting on study #2 !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit